VIII. First Casualties & A New Start

The trip back home felt like it took so much longer than it should have. All three were equally anxious about the fates of the kids they had persuaded to come to join them in this risky mission.

The moment they arrived back at the HQ, Melinda was the first to sprint outside of the car, Charles and Erik following close behind her. Moira did too but slowed down her pace when she noticed all those dead soldiers laying around.

Melinda came to a halt once she noticed the kids sitting outside the now almost fully destroyed building They were all with their heads down but thankfully, unharmed. However, the woman did not fail to notice that two people were missing.

As if they had heard her, the kids looked up at her. Raven was crying rivers and she immediately stood up before rushing to her. The woman wasted no time to hold the young mutant in her arms, shielding her n a tight embrace as the girl sobbed on her shoulder.

"What happened?" She asked, one hand rubbing Raven's back.

"Saw...he...he...and then...havoc and Darwin..." the young girl was too shocked to speak and kept sobbing.

Charles and Erik had stopped not that far away, looking around and then at the kids. Charles felt guilty about everything, especially once Hank mastered enough courage to tell them what had happened.

When they found out, Melinda felt a strong pain in her heart. It was strong enough that she had eventually left Raven to calm down and had hidden behind a wall. She leaned on it, her head pressed on the cement structure as one hand gripped the front of her blouse.

She was okay with Angel joining Saw, for at least she was unharmed. Yet, it was Darwin that her heart ached for. The young man...she could still remember the last words she had told him.

She had put him in charge of the team and look what that had gotten him. He sacrificed himself, bravely,  to protect everyone else in an attempt to do what they had failed so far...taking down Saw.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and then exhaled. She was not ready for it and she could not imagine seeing any of those kids sharing the same fate. Just seeing how broken Raven was, it didn't sit well with her.

A part of her, deep in her heart, wanted revenge against Saw for what he did. For endangering the lives of innocent, including children, and for cruelly killing one of them.

Yet another side of her argued, blaming 8 and the others for agreeing upon the idea to bring those children in as if they were trained soldiers.

"Perhaps Erik was right...they were not ready..." she muttered, her hands into tight fists and placed by her sides.

"Perhaps back then. That doesn't mean they cannot be trained to be ready" a familiar voice reached her and she gasped as she opened her eyes.

Turning her head to the side, she noticed Erik and Charles not that far away. She quickly pushed her body off the wall and composed herself, not wanting them to be seen like that.

Charles had seen her crying a lot of times as they were growing up but that had stopped years now. She had promised herself to be the strong one for both him and Raven, which meant that she never allowed them to see her crying.

Erik kept staring at her the most intensely and it was hard for her to understand what he was thinking at that moment. Not wanting Charles to focus too much on her thoughts, she decided to bring up what Erik had just said.

"What do you mean?" She asked him.

Charles had that smile across his face, one when he had a great idea and he loved sharing it with others. "He means, we are going home Mel. And we also start training"