X. Late Night Confessions

After that moment in the Gym, the relationship between Melinda and Erik had become more complicated than before. He would occasionally come and supervise as she practised her knife-throwing skills but he would not comment...instead, he seemed to be keeping his distance.

Even when they would be sitting side by side at the table to eat or bump into each other in the hallways..he was different. He kept himself away, almost avoiding her when it was possible and Melinda could not truly understand why.

That sudden change did not go unnoticed by Charles, who was the only one paying enough attention to notice the changes. Yet, he did not comment until one day...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melinda was sitting on her bed, a chessboard placed in front of her while her adopted brother sat across from her. They were into a tough game of chess, the young woman not allowing her younger brother to win easily.

"You know..." he started, deciding to address the elephant in the room. "I haven't managed but notice-"

"Don't...please..." she said, lifting her hand to silence him before grabbing her horse and taking down his pawn, bringing her one step closer to taking down his king.

"I would just offer my mind you know...I can look into his mind and find out what is going on" he suggested, moving his queen and taking down her other horse, leaving her king open. "Check"

Mel let out a sigh, leaning on her one hand while she had her legs folded in a lotus position. "It's not right Charles... can't have you snooping into people's brains for answers" she chewed on her inner cheek, her lips forming a small pout.

She had been banging her head on the wall, trying to understand what was going on and what she did wrong, and yet she had no answer to any of her questions.

It drove her almost to madness, to the point that she trained until her hands were sore from all the hits she delivered or all the weights she lifted.

"I know, but I thought to volunteer," he said, waiting for her next move while stealing glances at her.

"No...I have to do this on my own... I have to face him" she concluded. She moved her tower, taking advantage of an opening she just saw. She moved her tower, its path now free with the Queen out of the way. The tower reached the opposing side and trapped the king, leaving him with no room to move. "Check mate," she said, flipping the black king down as she stood up.

"Guess I should say, good luck then," Charles said with a small smile, watching her as she tried to keep her confidence and walked out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melinda made her way towards Erik's room but quickly came to a halt and hid behind a wall when she noticed the door opening. Her eyes opened wider when she realised that Raven was leaving his room.

The shifter turned to face the door, now Erik standing in its place. The young girl giggled, standing fully in her blue form and wearing a revealing white nightgown, all while with a big smile on her face. The metal bender placed a quick peck on her cheek and let her walk away, in the opposite direction from where Melinda was.

The healers felt her heart beating faster, each beat aching once she realised that everything happened because he simply liked Raven more. A part of her expected her, not surprised since it was a common thing for the Shifter to enchant boys and men alike.

Mel turned her back and was about to walk away, feeling the need to just go and Bury herself under the covers of her bed. However, she stopped herself once she realised she was running away and was not tackling her problems as she should.