VII. Tricked & Ambushed

The trip to Russia did not last long, but it certainly felt one with the tension and the silence in the room. Erik was close to getting his revenge, so he was fully focused and determined to succeed this time.

Moira was still annoyed by the mutants and their chaos, especially because he wanted them on this mission. Yet, after what she witnessed, it was clear that they were not ready and a part of her doubted if they would ever be.

Charles was disappointed, wondering if he had made the right choice. He did not expect such chaos, especially from Raven, but deep down his self argued back. Reminding him that he also caused his version of chaos as he grew up, although with less destruction.

Melinda was fidgeting, being the most uneasy one. She had never been on a mission and a part of her truly wanted them to succeed. But the importance of this mission... weighted heavily on one's shoulders. In addition, somehow going into enemy territory brought her back those flashbacks she used to see in dreams...memories of a different life. On top of that, she had a very bad gut feeling deep inside of her. Leaving the kids back at the HQ... did not settle well with her.

She was snapped from her thoughts when the truck they were hiding in shook from a puddle on the street. The sudden movement made her fall a little more on Erik. They glanced at one another for a moment before she pulled herself back in her seat.

"Sorry" was all she said and fixed her black coat and beanie, which she had chosen to wear to battle the snowy cold of the country.

Erik did not say anything and instead focused on his thoughts, no one speaking. There were a few CIA agents with them, armed and ready to handle any enemy soldier while the three mutants would deal with Saw, and only him. Another agent was driving the truck and Moira was next to him.

After a few more minutes of silence, there was a knock on the wooden fake half-wall that separated the driver from the rest of the truck. Charles lifted it and the three mutants turned to look at Moira and the driver.

"We got a problem," the driver said, making the trio exchange an uneasy look.

"What?" Charles exclaimed.

Moira looked at them. "I am so sorry. This wasn't on the map" she informed them and they looked in front of them.

There was a checkpoint, right in the middle of the road. A ramp had been placed, and guards were stationed there. They would check them, before allowing them to continue and for a moment, everyone was ready to abandon the mission.

Almost everyone, for Erik, clenched his jaw. He was not happy about it and he would not agree with it, Melinda knew that. However, Melinda also knew one more thing that could potentially save them. She turned to her brother, who immediately read her mind.

"Can you do it?" she asked him with pleading eyes.

Charles bit his lip for a moment, hesitating while Moira and Erik were confused about what they could be mentally talking about. Eventually, Charles let out the breath he was holding and gave a nod. He then turned to the two agents at the front. "Whatever happens, you act normal. I will take care of this"

He then pulled down the wooden separation and sat down on his seat. He then turned to all the soldiers and started to explain what they would have to do, for all of them to pass through all of it and make it out alive.

----------------------------------------------------

Time seemed to have stopped when the doors of the truck were pulled open by one of the Russian Guards. The CIA agents had their guns pointed but no one moved, let alone breathed. Charles had placed his fingers on his temple and he was using his abilities on the guard to ensure that all he saw was an empty truck.