XI. Our Day of the Dead

It has been a handful of two weeks for our heroes and the Xavier siblings. The training continued normally, each day being more progressive than the one before.

New ways had been found for the mutants to use their powers. Banshee, for example, could now use a special suit and a powerful voice to soar across the skies.

Erik had far better control over metal, stopping even bullets before they left the canister. Mystique kept working out and along with Hank, both trained under Melinda in their close combat skills.

Melinda also did her training with Erik, now being more successful in throwing both knives and needles. While she still wanted the needles in order not to harm anyone, due to the Hypocratus oath that she took; Erik insisted that she always kept a knife or two on her just in case.

Their relationship has simply bloomed after their first night together, something that had started to become a little more obvious as days passed by. They could be seen spending a lot of time together, sitting next to each other, and Charles caught them sharing a secret kiss when they thought they were alone in the hallway.

He was happy to see his sister being better, finally having someone that would kill for her; quite literally when it came to Erik. He could see how much more alive she felt, and it showed, her eyes glowing with energy and life each time he looked at them.

He hadn't truly talked with Erik about the subject, feeling the need not to inquire about looking after his sister... At least, not yet. Seeing her, though, a far better and more confident version of herself made him sleep more peacefully at night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone was sitting around the big table for lunch, all equally hungry. Erik had helped Melinda with her confidence, and now all the chores of the house, cooking included, were carried out by everyone and in turns.

This allowed her to have more time for herself but also for everyone to take responsibility. The mood around the table was festive, with everyone joking and talking.

Well, almost everyone.

Erik was silent as per usual, watching from the corner of the table and not truly paying them much attention. On the contrary, his eyes were mostly focused on the mutant by his side, who laughed and socialised with everyone.

Feeling a pair of eyes on him, he turned his head and searched for the source; being noel other than Charles himself from the sear as Head of the Table. He was smirking at him, in the way of telling him,' I got you looking', and Erik simply rolled his eyes at the childish drama.

"I have a question," Sean asked, lifting his hand like a little kid while his mouth was full of food.

"What is it, Sean?" Charles asked while most at the table chuckled at his behaviour.

"What is Memory Day?" He asked, suddenly the laughter dying down. "I mean, I saw it's today on the calendar,"

Raven, Charles, and Melinda exchanged a look between them; the only ones that truly knew about that day.

"Is it here already?" Raven asked, not having realised how the time has passed.

Melinda spoke next, deciding to help with the confused looks they were given. "It's sort of a family....us... tradition. Each year, we light a big candle at night and write on paper the names of those we have lost. "

Charles took a few sips of his wine. "It's started more like a small game between Mel and me, to remember our parents. Raven joined the tradition soon after, and we sort of kept it up. "