Chapter 20

Red Son was... Conflicted. He knew two things at the moment: MK made Red happy and he wants to be with MK through thick and thin no matter what, but there was so much that he didn't know. He doesn't know if MK liked him back, he doesn't even fully understand this feeling, and he doesn't know how to act on it.

Red Son clutched his jacket sleeve. Should I act on it at all? I know that I want to. I really want to... but how to tell him? He couldn't think straight at the moment (no pun intended). Red sighed and decided to grab some water from the kitchen. Exciting his room, he turned his head and saw MK looking at him from the couch. Upon making eye contact, they both blushed and awkwardly turned their heads. It had already been one full day since the incident with MK's clone, but the atmosphere of the apartment was still incredibly awkward. Red Son was starting to get frustrated with himself for not being brave enough to say anything about his feelings.

He was grabbing a cup from the cup cabinet when suddenly, the words Tang had told him came rushing back into his mind.

"...But I also know that MK is an idiot. If you ever think about telling him how you feel, just know that you gotta tell him outright or else he won't get what you're trying to say."

Red Son set the cup down on the counter with a sigh. He chuckled quietly at himself. I'm such a coward, he thought.

He walked over to the couch where MK was sitting and sat down next to him. MK squeaked in surprise. Stop being so nervous and just tell him what's on your mind!

"H-Hey MK?"

"Hm?" Hummed MK in response, meeting Red Son's gaze.

"I don't... I, um... oh God how do I say this..." Red paused and took a deep breath before continuing. "I've never been good with emotions and feelings and stuff, so I don't understand much in that department. For example, back when I lived with my parents, I couldn't really tell the difference between fear and anger because those two emotions went hand in hand with me. I didn't get it. Much like now and how I don't understand how just you walking into the room can have such an impact on me and my mental state. I don't understand why it feels like thousands of butterflies flutter around in my stomach whenever you smile at me, or why my body starts to get warmer and my face flushes whenever I hear you laugh. The best way I can describe the feeling is sickeningly sweet and strangely addicting. I'm confused and I don't know how to deal with these feelings."

MK was speechless. Is this Red Son's way of confessing to me? MK then realised with shock that Red was tearing up.

"... I'm sorry for rambling, I just... I thought I might feel a little bit better if I told you but it didn't seem to work. You don't have to answer or anything. I'm being an idiot, sorry again." Red said, wiping his eyes and starting to stand up.

"NO WAIT!" MK blurted out, grabbing the fire demon's wrist before he could leave him, causing Red to sit back down. Both of their hearts were pounding in their chests. "Wait... If... If feeling those things makes you an idiot, then I'm the biggest idiot ever, because.... " MK paused for a second, face redder than his headband. He looked at the ground before finishing his sentence. "Because you make me sickeningly happy too." MK looked back up at Red Son and saw that his eyes were wide and his face was beet red. Even Red's hair was starting to spark a little bit. MK realised that he was still clutching Red Son's wrist, but instead of letting go, he moved his hand down to meet with Red's hand and intertwined their fingers together.

"I... I'm not sure how to respond, to be honest with you," Red said, a small smile forming on his face.

MK started to panic. Uh oh... Did I got too far? Did I get the wrong idea? Did I mess up? Did I say something wrong? "I-I'm sorry! I jumped to a conclusion too fast just forget I said anythi-"

Red Son's body acted without any thought, without instruction. Before he knew it, he was reaching forward. Red's free hand grabbed the back of MK's neck, he tilted his head, and soon their lips connected in a warm embrace. MK's eyes immediately grew to the size of saucers but he nevertheless returned the kiss. After a few moments, they broke apart and just sat there, staring at each other. It was Red who finally broke the awkward silence.

Looking like he was going to be sick, the demon said, "yeah nope. I feel like I'm going to vomit butterflies, but I'm gonna be happy while doing it." He clutched his stomach.

"Ok good. I'm glad it's not just me," MK responded with a bright smile. There was silence for a few seconds until MK spoke.

"Uhm... just so you know, the whole thing that I was saying earlier, what I was trying to say was I really like you like a lot. Just making sure I was clear."

"I know, stupid. I'm not as dense as you are. I like you too." Red Son replied.

"Yeeeaaaahhh... I kind of figured because you did just kiss me." MK said, snickering.

Red's hair lit on fire. "Oh... right."

Finally, the realization hit MK like a ton of bricks. "Ooooooh... So your hair lights on fire whenever you're really flustered as well as angry?" Red Son nodded and his hair returned back to normal. "I'll keep that in mind..." MK mumbled that last part, but Red caught it.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!"

"Hm? Ohhh nothing. It's just that now I know I should buy a fire extinguisher just in case because you get flustered so easily," MK said with a sly smirk.

"Oh yeah? Well I'm sure you do too!"

"I do not!"

Suddenly, Red quickly leaned in close to MK's face, to the point where they were nose to nose. "Wanna bet?" The demon said with a smirk. In a matter of seconds, MK's face went from normal to crimson red. He grumbled, covered his bright red face with his hands, and shrunk in his seat. Red Son laughed. "That's what I thought."

"You bully," The Monkie Kid said. Red sat back in his spot on the couch. More silence fell as MK slowly regained his composure.

"Soooo... what does this make us?" MK asked.

"Well, maybe we could... start dating?" Red Son replied, blushing furiously against his will.

"Hmm. I'll consider it if you ask me out on a date first," MK teased.

"Why you little... *sigh* fine. MK, will you do me the great honor of going out with me?"

"Of course I will, dummy. No need to be so formal about it."

Red Son released the breath that he hadn't realised he'd been holding. "Don't freak me out like that! I thought you might say no..."

"Red. Why would I say no? As if I could refuse you!" MK said, his face flushing a bit. Red couldn't even try to hold back the red that rushed to his face, and MK laughed at his reaction.

"Idiot..." Red said under his breath. The red on his face only got worse when MK all of a sudden rested his head on Red Son's shoulder and closed his eyes.

"This is nice." MK said with a sigh.

"Y-Yeah... yeah it is." Red responded as he draped an arm around the boy's shoulder.

That night, they fell asleep in that position and didn't wake up until the sun shone through the window the next morning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/N): Hi! Hope you liked that chapter. It was much anticipated, teehee. I finished the show I was watching so I should be able to write more often. Anyways, the story's almost over! Probably. Maybe. I honestly don't know lol. See you next chapter!
Have a great day/night!

1364 Words