( NSFW )What happened between us.

MCD' y'all know what this is, you know when it happened. You know why, I'm just putting it into words.

Takes place literally the moment Aphmau lays down in "that episode"

The sleeping bag was thin, uncomfortable, but better than the solid ground that was damp from the spring rains.

The creatures of the night and the crackling of the fire made for quite the ambiance to sleep to, if Aphmau could ever get to sleep.

It wasn't that she wasn't tired, Aaron had pushed her to her very limit while sparing and her whole body stung with pain from the times he'd pinned her, or burns from skidding across the bark of a tree.

He'd never really gone that hard before, he'd always held back, something had changed since the last time they'd sparred, when he'd first took his jacket off she should've know it would get rough.

But she'd finally managed to pin him, seeing him out of breath, sword pinned to the tree and an impressed and surprised look on his face would be a source of personal pride for months.

She stole a glance at him, he was quiet, staring off into the trees, his mind somewhere else.

She wasn't afraid to admit that he fascinated her, all her freinds had hard pasts, but Aaron was different, a lord losing his village, a father losing his children, a husband losing his wife.

It was something she could deeply relate to, well, everything but the wife part, but she had lost her people, her sons in a way, she'd missed them all growing into who they were, she'd left her people to fend for themselves.

The guilt crept up her back like a snake slinking up a knarled tree, then of course, there was Garroth.

He'd been loyal to her for years, he'd been there since the very beginning, as long as she could remember! And she wasn't there when he needed her. She was too busy to notice that he'd been suffering.

All of this was her fault.

So, forgive her if she had trouble sleeping with all this on her mind.

She turned over, frustrated with her own thoughts and inability to fall asleep. She trained her gaze firmly on the back of Aaron's head, then down his back, and trailed her gaze down his greatsword, that he was leaning on.

She quickly looked elsewhere, a light dusting of pink rested on her cheeks when she realized she was basically checking him out.

Lucinda was right, he was very easy on the eyes.

And he'd been with her nearly constantly for the past several months, she'd gotten used to being woken up by the smell of his cooking and his gentle touch on her shoulder. To hearing Lilith fuss only to turn around to find Aaron had already picked her up to calm her down.

She really didn't know what she'd do without him honestly.

She didn't realize she'd been staring at him until they suddenly made eye contact.

She quickly turned away from him after that, although she could still feel his eyes burning a hole into her skin.

"Can't sleep?" He asked, his soft voice closer than she'd expected it to be, she jumped before sitting up and turning to face him.

"No. I think I'm too exhausted to sleep." His expression didn't change, at least not on the surface level, but his eyes betrayed him, as they often did.

"You've got a lot on your mind." He said bluntly, that was something Aphmau liked about him, he said exactly what he meant, she didn't have to think about it.