Rehersals

So we didn't get to see Aaron and Aphmau actually act at all during the Romeo and Juliet play, which is dissapointing, let's fix that.

"I'm sorry Romeo, I would love to go with you to the Harvest Festival but if our families saw us together-" Aphmau looked down at Aaron's hardwood floor, lacing her hands together like an old maiden, holding herself in a fake dramaticism, she turned her back to her "lover".

"They will be too busy at each other's throats to notice us, my love. Please, join me, it won't be the same without you." Aaron didn't let her finish, instead taking her hand and making her turn back to face him, their faces inches apart. He reaches up to thumb her cheek, guiding her eyes to meet his own.

"I-I" Technically this was her line, but Aphmau was struggling to find the correct words to say through the sudden dryness in her throat. She looks away from his intense gaze, and tries to fight away the heat growing on her face.

"I-If you're sure." Aaron backed away, face slightly pink but hiding it well, he chuckled nervously shaking off the nerves that had filled his gut.

"You alright? We could talk to Katelyn about tweaking the scene if it makes you uncomfortable." Aaron offers, rubbing his neck awkwardly, the script in his other hand.

"N-no, it's fine, I'm fine, just have to shake off the jitters you know? The plays in a week and I'm afraid I'm going to choke." She admits, although that wasn't the only reason her belly was full of butterflies.

"You aren't going to choke, you're just nervous, we're both nervous." Aaron responds, proving his point by breifly showing her his slightly shaky hand.

"Why are you nervous? Your reads are perfect and everybody is going to be too distracted by your face to notice if you mess up."

Aaron looks at her incredulously,

"That's exactly the problem! I'll have eyes all over me! You know I hate that kind of attention."

They both fall silent for a moment, both letting their nerves get the better of them, Aphmau sighed, looking at her best freind apologetically.

"I'm Sorry, I'm just stressed out." Aaron grimaced at her apology, guilty for raising his voice even slightly.

"Nah, Don't apologize, I know you hate the attention as much as me, and you didn't even have a choice to participate." He stepped close again, looking down at her as she rubbed her arms in shame.

"And I'm being used like a treat for everyone..." She mumbled almost quiet enough for him not to hear, but he did and it made his heart have whiplash.

"W-what?"

"I mean, I am... all the guys that auditioned for Romeo only did it for the chance to kiss me. And they all agreed to take a different role if they didn't get it, like I'm a peice of meat being dangled over their heads to get them to behave."

Aaron stared at her in complete shock and a bit of shame, he wouldn't lie to himself and say he had completely pure intentions when he auditioned, but hearing her describe it like this had his heart hurting.

"Do you think that's why I auditioned?" He blurted out against his own better judgement. She looked up at him, a bit of shame in her eyes as if sad about her own assumption.

"Isn't it?" She asked, avoiding the question but implying the answer, Aaron winced, he was hurt, but she wasn't entirely wrong either, he was thinking about the kissing scene when he said he'd audition.

"Not entirely no, I knew Laurance and Garroth would pester you endlessly if they got the part, and if Travis did we would never hear the end of his bragging." They both chuckled lightly at that, but Aaron wasn't done yet.

"I just knew you were going to be uncomfortable either way, and I wanted to give you an option that wasn't going to make a big deal out of it."

"I... I'm sorry I assumed-"

"Stop apologizing! It's fine."

Silence fell again, only this time the tension dissipated until they were both laughing lightly.

"So you don't want to kiss me?" Aphmau teased, her mouth upturned in a shit- eating smirk, immediately Aaron flushed with color, frustrated at how easy she could tease him.

"I- We should get back to rehersing."

Aphmau just giggled, their history had allowed them to tease each other like this, and they'd only grown closer as they'd grown, she felt her chest warm.

"Yeah, okay."

"We probably should go over some of these more intimate scenes if we ever want to get over the embarrassment of them on stage. You up for it?"

Aphmau sighed, feeling her nerves rise back up into her gut, but she nodded, turning to the next scene they were practicing.

"Ready?" Aphmau asked, and they both nodded to each other, Aaron cleared his throat.

"Juliet, I know our families are at odds, but I cannot resist your beauty any longer, you captivate me in your satin hair and your sweet caramel eyes. I can only pray you will have me." He got dramaticly on one knee, taking her hand and holding it onto his own, he gazed up at her lovingly, awaiting her answer.

Aphmau wanted to giggle at Katelyns cliche writing, but still blushed slightly, Aaron was smiling, also holding back a laugh.

"Your words are sweet, but the risks may be too great, if my family were to catch us seeing each other, we may never see each other again." Aphmau replied, holding her other hand to her chest in exaggerated concern.

" I care not for the risks!" Aaron pulled her down to his level, desperately clutching her hand like a lifeline.

"I dream of your hand intwined in mine, I never stop thinking of you even as I work my day away. Since the day I saw you, I have only fallen deeper in my affection for you, Aph- Er, Juliet" Aaron panicked at his slip of the tongue, but continued anyway, his other hand grasping her hip as he brought them both to a standing position.

"Romeo..." They stared into each other's eyes, as the script demands, but Aaron's eyes drift to her lips for a breif moment, and Aphmau isn't sure if it's part of the script or not.

"Forgive me, my lady, but I must go before my family wonders where I am. Please, search your heart, and I shall return." He leans down and kisses her hand before turning away, signifying the end of the scene.

"I think we did pretty well, we didn't start laughing like last time." Aaron said, laughing slightly at turning back towards her, Aphmau was still slightly flustered, but recovered quickly.

"Yeah! I think we'll be fine, just don't accidentally say my name on stage." Aphmau smirked, and Aaron flushed with color, a smile still etched on his face.