Parenthood

A/N We return to MCD,  I love exploring these two, they both have so much baggage to work through but somehow make it work, and Lilith is such a huge part of their relationship, and many people kinda ignore her, but not me!

The baby was fussing in her sleep again, disturbed by the rock and sway of the ship that undoubtedly reminded her of her past.

Aaron did his best to calm her, tightening her blanket around her and pushing a strand of light brown hair out of her face. But it didn't do much, her tiny hands gripped the blanket deceptively tightly and her brow furrowed.

It was hard to watch her fussing in her sleep, it had been a couple days now, and while they could see the island in the distance it would likely take another day and a half to reach it.

He debated on whether to get Aphmau's help, she was always much better at getting the baby to calm down than he was, he supposed it made sense, since she'd had kids before.

But right now she was doing rounds around the ship, trying to keep morale from reaching the bottom of the ocean. And honestly, he didn't feel like troubling her, neither of them had gotten much sleep since the baby's arrival.

She needed her space, the little girl had all but forced them to stay together constantly, from the time that they both woke up to the time they went to sleep they were most likely together, trying to calm down the constantly upset baby.

He didn't much mind the company, he'd long accepted the fact that he'd likely be traveling with Aphmau and her crew the rest of his life, now that Zane was as good as gone, at the very least it saved him from worrying about what his future held.

He wasn't content, not yet, and he didn't know quite why he felt as if there was something missing, Zane was gone and he had a purpose again, he thought he should be contented.

The baby cooed in her sleep again, bringing him back to the here and now, he moved her in her swaddle, currently made out of his jacket, trying to make her comfortable.

She turned into his hand, curling up into it and gurgling happily, her tiny hand wrapped around his thumb like it was a lifeline.

He could feel his heart melting into useless goo, his face broke it a wide smile as he watched her sleep peacefully for the first time all day.

"There there little one, I'm here." The words came instinctively out of his mouth, for a moment he wasn't on a ship, far, far away from his home. He was instead comforting his newborn son in front of the hearth while his wife slept in the next room.

He'd had this feeling surface before, sending him spiraling into his bittersweet memories, he missed his family dearly, despite the doubts that creeped through he still felt the ache of their missing presence.

"Everything okay in here?" It was Aphmau speaking but Aaron's heart jumped anyway, still stuck in the past, hearing his wife asking him the very same question.

"Yeah, we're fine." He muttered bluntly, willing himself out of his past, he was getting better at that, at dragging himself out of his head and back into reality.

"Here, I made some tea." He turned to her taking the mug out of her hand and drinking deeply of the slightly-too-warm beverage.

"Thanks, how's everyone else?" He asked, trying to give the conversation away to her so he didn't have to speak, he liked the sound of her voice more anyway.

"Travis and Lucinda are about to jump on each other, Katelyn is still so seasick she's hunched over the side of the boat so far she looks like she's about to fall, Laurance and Vlad are being weird and Isabelle and Chad are... well Isabelle and Chad." She slumped next to him, suffering from a deep exhaustion that went much further than just not getting enough sleep.