8) All's Fair in Love and War

Taehyun flopped into bed beside Beomgyu. "I can't do this anymore."

"Do what?"

"This stupid class. I'm going to fail the test tomorrow; there's no possible way to memorize all these medications, their side effects, indications, contraindications, and the steps to administer them."

"You already know everything," Beomgyu hummed. "You've been studying all day."

"Exactly. I've been studying all day, and now I'm getting them mixed up!"

"Alright, calm down." Beomgyu rolled onto his side, facing Taehyun. "You get a call for an unresponsive thirty-year-old male who was found passed out in the bathroom of a strip club called Taehyun's Sexy Butt. During your primary survey, you note pinpoint pupils and a decreased respiratory rate. What's your presumptive diagnosis and your treatment plan?"

"Opioid overdose. I'd check for discoloration, cloudiness, and precipitation before administering the Narcan. No, I mean naloxone!"

"Breathe, Taehyun. Which is which?"

Taehyun took a deep breath, clearing his mind. "They're the same thing. Naloxone is the generic name. Narcan is the brand name."

"See? There you go. You know everything." Beomgyu laid on top of Taehyun. "Now stop studying and do something fun with me."

"What kind of fun?" Taehyun laughed, hugging Beomgyu's waist.

"Sexy fun. Or normal fun. Or we can just lay here and kiss." Beomgyu closed his eyes, sighing blissfully into Taehyun's neck. "You smell good. New cologne?"

"It's yours, dumbass."

"Oh. Well, clearly, I have good taste."

"You're such a narcissist," Taehyun snorted, wriggling out from under Beomgyu.

"And you're such a pessimist," Beomgyu shot back. "It's what I hated about you initially. Now I find it strangely endearing, but that's not the point."

"Just for that," Taehyun giggled. "I'm going to sleep."

He scooted backward into Beomgyu's chest, yawning as he curled up in the older boy's arms.

"Hey, no," Beomgyu whined. "I'm sorry. Please stay awake."

Taehyun made no acknowledgment of his request. At least, he didn't until he felt a tongue lick a large stripe up the back of his neck.

"Agh! Gyu!" Taehyun shuddered, using a blanket to wipe away the other's saliva. "What the hell?"

He flipped around, staring into Beomgyu's eyes. "You're so weird."

"Stay awake," Beomgyu pouted. He puckered his lips, begging the younger boy for a kiss.

"Fine," Taehyun laughed, cupping Beomgyu's face as he pressed their foreheads together. "Only because I love you."

The words rolled off Taehyun's tongue so quickly he didn't even register them until it was too late.

Beomgyu's eyes widened. "You love me?"

"I..." Taehyun nervously licked his lips. "Yeah. I think so."

"And you thought I was moving too fast," Beomgyu laughed. He leaned in to peck Taehyun's lips. "I love you too, Kang."

Taehyun smiled, blushing as he glanced down. "Cool."

Beomgyu nodded his head. "Very cool."

He grabbed Taehyun's hand, guiding it to his chest. "What's the hormone that makes my heart beat this fast?"

"Adrenaline." Taehyun intertwined their fingers. "Also known as epinephrine."

"What medications might have tachycardia as a side effect?"

"MDIs, Narcan, and EpiPens."

"What should you absolutely never do if the patient's systolic blood pressure drops below 100?"

"Administer nitroglycerin."

"A twenty-one-year-old male is having heart palpitations. He complains of a weakness in his knees and reports feeling like this every time he talks to his roommate. During your general impression, you note an increased capillary blood flow to his cheeks when his roommate walks into the room. What might be the matter with him?"

Taehyun grinned cheekily. "He's in love."

***

"Taehyun," a man in a white apron smiled. "Long time no see. How's the EMT class going?"

"Good," Taehyun beamed, laying out his groceries for the shopkeeper to scan. "I took my final this morning."

"Really?" The shopkeeper touched his chest mournfully. "It feels like it was just yesterday you were graduating high school!"

"It does, doesn't it?" Soobin laughed, hanging an arm over Taehyun's shoulders. "They grow up so fast."

The shopkeeper chuckled. "They sure do."

Taehyun glanced at the small TV perched on a shelf above the register. A bright red banner flashed across the bottom of the screen as a pair of young, attractive news reporters talked to the camera.

"Multiple countries have suspended trade with-"

The shopkeeper scanned a pack of flour. "So, Taehyun, where've you been? I've missed seeing you here every Sunday."

Taehyun lowered his gaze, meeting the shopkeeper's eyes. "Oh, I, uh, moved out. I'm living with another friend closer to the edge of the city."

"Oh, really?" The shopkeeper smiled at Soobin. "Does that mean you and Yeonjun are sharing the flat?"

"Yep." Soobin playfully nudged Taehyun with his elbow. "Tell him about Beomgyu."

Taehyun glanced down, smiling foolishly. "Beomgyu's the friend I'm living with. We're kind of a thing."

"Ahh." The shopkeeper's eyes twinkled. "I assume it's going well then?"

Taehyun nodded, trying to suppress the stupid, lovesick grin plastered across his face. "Yeah. Really well."

The shopkeeper offered the two boys a bowl of white 'O' shaped mints. "Celebratory lifesavers?"

"Yes, please," Taehyun laughed, popping one into his mouth. "Thank you."

Soobin politely shook his head. "No thanks. I'm not a big fan of mints."

Taehyun leaned over the counter, whispering humorously, "It's because he always got broken ones back in grade school. He has, like, some sort of stigma against them now."

"The mints have stigma against me!" Soobin insisted. "Anyways, we should go. Taehyun rode his bike here, and I don't want him riding back in the dark."

"Of course. Be safe, Taehyun." The shopkeeper waved goodbye to them as they left the store.