11) The Sky Lover

TW: death

Four Minutes Until Beomgyu's Death.

"Shit! Sunghoon!" Heeseung immediately began descending the ladder.

Water splashed as he hopped off the last rung, his combat boots sinking into the thin layer of mud coating the ground. Sunghoon was right behind him. They crouched beside Beomgyu, Heeseung peeling back the older boy's tan undershirt.

His heart dropped.

Angry red marks crawled up Beomgyu's side, spider-webbing their way across his chest. The tiny gash left by brambles just days earlier was swollen and black.

"Infection, isn't it?" Beomgyu rasped. He quietly laughed, his head lolling to the side. "Shit."

"No," Heeseung lied. "You're going to be okay."

"Heeseung..." Sunghoon's voice wavered as he felt Beomgyu's forehead. "His skin is ice cold."

"That's okay," Heeseung said firmly. "I can carry him up the ladder. Come on, Sunghoon. Help me."

"You can't." Beomgyu made a feeble attempt to grab Heeseung's arm. "Listen-"

"Sunghoon, come on!" Heeseung stared at the younger boy, ignoring Beomgyu. "Help me!"

Tears stung his eyes as the younger boy shook his head.

"Sunghoon," Heeseung begged. "Please stand up."

"Heeseung, listen!" Beomgyu shouted.

His burst of energy faded as quickly as it came and he slumped back, voice hoarse.

"Once you get out of here, you'll see the train station to your right. It's this big glass building; you can't miss it. The next train leaves in an hour, you hide in the bathrooms until then, alright? They don't check tickets anymore, just get on and you'll be fine. Don't talk to anybody; pretend you're asleep. You'll be safe as soon as you cross the western border."

Beomgyu's eyes fluttered shut. He drew another laborious breath. "They have a policy. They'll take you no matter what."

"No," Heeseung pleaded, shaking Beomgyu's shoulders. "Don't sleep. Don't sleep, Beomgyu. Taehyun's waiting. Taehyun's waiting for you!"

The older boy stirred at the mention of his husband. His eyes remained closed, chest barely rising with each breath.

Sunghoon pushed Heeseung's shoulder. "Go! Get help!"

Heeseung sprang to his feet, only for Beomgyu to catch his ankle.

"No," Beomgyu croaked. "They'll kill you."

The fear in the older boy's voice was unmistakable. Just like that, Heeseung understood. It wasn't about war anymore. None of it mattered; who was right, who was wrong.

It was simply about a scared boy who didn't want to die alone.

Since they'd met, Beomgyu had been someone Heeseung admired. Someone who knew everything, who was too smart to be tricked. Someone untouchable. But now, Heeseung saw him for what he really was. And it broke Heeseung's heart.

Beomgyu wasn't a god.

He was a kid, much like Heeseung. His face may have aged from stress and exhaustion, but his eyes still were round and curious. His cheeks carried remnants of baby fat and his hair was speckled with highlights as if he'd taken it up to himself to dye it in his kitchen at three in the morning on a sleepless night. They were whispers of a past life carried into an unfathomable present.

Tears pricked Heeseung's eyes as he sat down, taking one of Beomgyu's icy hands.

"The journal and my ring," the older boy weakly coughed. "Keep them, okay? When this is all over, find Taehyun. Promise me you'll find him."

"I will," Heeseung exhaled slowly, trying to warm Beomgyu's fingers. "I promise."

The ragged breaths filling the air grew further apart. Beomgyu mumbled something and Heeseung leaned over, hovering his ear above the boy's bluish lips. "What?"

"The sky." Beomgyu cracked his eyes open. "Just one more time. Please."

Heeseung glanced at Sunghoon, who nodded, leaving them to ascend the ladder. He reached the top and shouldered aside the manhole cover. Moonlight streamed through the circular opening, casting a white glow over Beomgyu's sickly face. For a moment, his eyes lit up, reflecting the stars above them.

"Taehyun knows, right?" Beomgyu whispered. "He knows that I'm sorry?"

"He will," Heeseung murmured. "I promise, he will."

He wasn't sure if Beomgyu ever heard him.