15) The Boy On The Bridge

TW: depression, suicidal thoughts, attempted suicide

Empty days.

***

Empty nights.

***

Heeseung wasn't sure how much time had passed since Sunghoon left.

***

Their house was quiet. Calm. Peaceful. There was no pitter-patter of tiny paws running around on wooden floors, no warmth of Sunghoon's arms on cold winter mornings, no shouting of children playing in the street. It was like the whole world left with Sunghoon.

***

Heeseung bit into an apple. He hated it. He spat it out.

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

Heeseung sighed. He laid his head down on the table.

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

Heeseung managed to drag himself out of bed. He made himself coffee and checked the news. The stale sandwich he had for lunch wasn't bad.

***

One of the neighborhood kids rang his doorbell today, asking to use the basketball hoop in his driveway. Heeseung had told him to take it. He opened his garage and told the kid to take whatever else he pleased and to bring his friends.

An hour later, the street was filled with laughter. The kids had cheered and shouted, hugged and danced circles around Heeseung, their chalky fingers leaving prints on the sidewalk. Skateboards flipped off curbs and frisbees spun through the air.

When asked why he'd had a change of heart, Heeseung only smiled in response.

***

The water made everything colder.