2) A Thorn in Karina's Side

Truth be told, Heeseung wasn't sure when he met Park Sunghoon.

Going to the same school and all, they'd known of each other's existence for ages, but never much more than that. It was sometime in the months after his father's passing that they grew close. Well, close wasn't exactly the right word to describe their relationship. More like they started a mutually beneficial affiliation.

He mindlessly toyed with his car keys as he trudged across the empty courtyard. There were still five minutes until the school bell would ring and the rest of the students would be dismissed. Despite that, the sound of a door opening caught his attention. He didn't look, already knowing who it'd be.

"Hey! Heeseung!" Karina stormed after the younger boy, crumpling up a scrap piece of notebook paper and chucking it at him. "Lee Heeseung! What's wrong with you?!"

The paper ball harmlessly bounced off Heeseung's back, and he looked down, watching it roll into the high school parking lot. "Hi, Karina."

He waited for his fuming girlfriend to catch up.

"Heeseung." Her eyes flashed dangerously as they hiked through the maze of cars together. "Next year, we're going to be seniors. You can't fuck around anymore if you want to get into college."

"Okay. Got it."

"No. I don't think you do." Karina crossed her arms. "So starting tomorrow, you will fix this little rebellious act of yours, or so help me god, I will drag you to the principal's office and sign you up for summer school myself. You understand?"

"Yes, Karina," Heeseung sighed, running his fingers through his hair. He was exhausted.

Karina's stance softened as she uncrossed her arms. "Hey. I'm sorry. I know it's been hard, it's just... Do you think your dad would be happy with the way you've been acting?"

Heeseung let out a quiet laugh. "Well, the bastard's dead, so I guess we'll never find out."

Karina gazed at the younger boy, sadly shaking her head. "Heeseung, what happened to you?"

"I gave up." Heeseung stopped walking, turning to face Karina. He held up his car keys. "You need a ride home?"

Karina stared at him for a second before complacently getting into the car. "Drop me off at Winter's place. We're going to NingNing's track meet after school with Giselle."

"Right on," Heeseung grinned, sliding into the driver's seat. "Tell the girls I say hi. Oh, and also, Jay asked me to ask you to mention to Winter that he's single and very ready to mingle."

Karina rolled her eyes. "Just drive, Heeseung."

***

"Jesus Christ, Park. I've watched you die on that level like fifty times now." Heeseung reached over Sunghoon's shoulder, plucking his phone from his grasp. "Let me try."

The younger boy scowled. "Why are you talking to me?"

"We're friends, aren't we?"

"Not outside that bathroom, we're not." Sunghoon snatched his phone back and stood up. "Don't follow me."

Heeseung watched the boy leave the public library. He quietly laughed, heading towards the parking lot to get his car. The rain nearly soaked him the minute he stepped outside and he couldn't help but wonder if Sunghoon was really walking home in this weather. He drove slowly along the street, pulling up beside the younger boy and rolling down the window.

"Park!" He shouted over the rain.

Sunghoon glanced over at him. "I said don't follow me!"

"Get in the car."

"No. I'm not in the mood."

Heeseung scoffed. "Believe it or not, Sunghoon, people don't always have ulterior motives. I'm just giving you a ride."

"Why?"

"Because you look like a sad fucking loser walking home in the rain by yourself?"

"Real nice," Sunghoon said sarcastically. "That sure convinced me!"

He kept walking.

Heeseung took his foot off the brake, allowing his car to inch alongside him. "Just get in, Hoon. You can have aux."

"Do not call me that."

"Come on, Sunghoon. You're shivering. You'll fall sick."

Sunghoon pursed his lips. The rain continued pouring, flattening his hair and seeping into his backpack. He stared at Heeseung's car for a second before opening the door and crawling into the front seat. "I'm not paying for gas."

"It wouldn't be charity work if I asked you to," Heeseung hummed in response.

Sunghoon's mouth fell open as he pulled the door shut. "Oh, you asshole!"

He leaned over the central console, pummeling the older boy with playful fists.

Heeseung giggled, ducking his head in defense. "Okay, okay! I'm sorry."

The younger boy drew back, satisfied.

***

"Sunghoon... No offense, but why does your place look like that?" Heeseung pulled into the gravel driveway of a tiny trailer house.

The windows were blocked with recycled cardboard and green algae was growing on the siding. It wasn't Heeseung's first time here, but on previous occasions, it hadn't looked quite as run-down.

Sunghoon shrugged, reaching into the backseat for his bag. "My parents haven't been home in a while. You know how they are. They'll stumble in at some point, high and drunk out of their minds."

"How long ago did they leave this time?"

"Two months."

"Two months?! You've just been living by yourself?"

"Yeah. It's not bad, really. You get used to it."

"Still, though. That's crazy." Heeseung faced forward, fingers nervously tapping the steering wheel. He glanced at Sunghoon. "Do you want to stay at my place tonight? You can borrow a change of clothes and I can drive you to school in the morning."

Sunghoon bit his lip, apprehensive. "Heeseung, when we started... You know. We said no strings attached."

"These aren't strings," Heeseung argued. "It's basic human decency. Have you eaten a proper meal since they left?"

Rain continued thudding against the roof of the car. The dark gray clouds lit up with lightning and Heeseung swore he saw fear flash in Sunghoon's eyes.

"Okay," the younger boy whispered. "Let's go to your house."