9) Right Now

One Day Until Beomgyu's Death.

"Okay, I know I said a bunch of stuff about remembering who you are and whatnot, but right now, you need to listen to me." Beomgyu grabbed Heeseung's arms, staring him straight in the eyes. "You guys are from East Bridge, okay? You were born and raised there. You've never stepped a foot outside this country. Got it?"

Heeseung nodded, his heart pounding. He could see the city through the trees; they were so close. Beomgyu moved on to Sunghoon, rubbing dirt on the younger boy's face and rumpling his school uniform.

"Just to make you guys look more pitiable," he said. "This... This is probably the most dangerous part. You ready?"

Heeseung's mouth was dry as he whispered, "Yes."

Beomgyu held his hands up and they slowly side-stepped into the field. Immediately, the two soldiers guarding the fence had their weapons drawn.

"Safe! Safe!" Beomgyu stopped moving, keeping a steady gaze on the soldiers. "It's Beomgyu, troop 151."

All guns shifted toward Sunghoon and Heeseung.

"Who are they?" The shorter soldier demanded.

"Refugees. I'm taking them to the train station; they won't be here long."

"They don't look like refugees to me." The taller soldier approached Heeseung, nudging him with the barrel of his assault rifle. "You. Where are you from?"

"East Bridge."

His eyes narrowed at Heeseung's accent. He glanced back at the shorter soldier, who subtly moved his finger over the trigger.

"Stop." Beomgyu pushed Heeseung back, stepping in front of him. "East Bridge is right on the border. They share a dialect."

"Get out of the way, Beomgyu. I will shoot you."

"Ludwig. Doughboy." Beomgyu's voice was cold as he glanced between the duo. "I said they're good."

Heeseung watched the two soldiers confer, a conversation completely through their eyes. Neither looked happy. Behind them, a flock of birds took off, rustling the trees. It wasn't until they were specks in the distance that the shorter relaxed his stance, nodding at the other to lower his gun.

"Fine," he grumbled. "But if anything happens and people get hurt? That's blood on your hands, Beomgyu."

They stepped aside, allowing passage into the city.

***

The boy across the room was miserable.

He moved sluggishly, his back to Sunghoon, Heeseung and Beomgyu as he draped a fresh set of sheets over a cot labeled 'sixty-four.'

"That's him?" Heeseung asked.

"Yeah." Beomgyu couldn't contain his smile as he set down his gun and took off his vest and jacket. "That's my husband."

He glanced at Sunghoon and Heeseung. "You guys stay here, okay?"

They nodded, watching Beomgyu sneak up behind Taehyun.

The older boy crossed his arms, nonchalantly leaning against a cot. "Busy saving lives, Kang?"

Taehyun visibly froze, his breath hitching with guarded hope. "Beomgyu?"

The corner of Beomgyu's lip twitched. "Maybe."

Taehyun spun around, his hand flying to his mouth. "Oh my god. Oh my god, Beomgyu!"

He threw his arms around the older boy, drawing the attention of half the room. Nurses and soldiers alike turned their heads, their confusion quickly replaced by wide grins. Taehyun shrieked with delight, clinging to Beomgyu's neck as the older boy picked him up and spun in circles. The moment his feet hit the ground again, his hands were in Beomgyu's hair and his lips on Beomgyu's lips.