15) Crimes Against Humanity

Three Months Later.

"Taehyun, can you change the sheets for bed sixty-four?"

"Yep, on it." Taehyun turned to smile at the nurse before focusing back on his patient. "This will only hurt for a second."

"You say that every time," the young soldier sighed, holding out his injured arm. He hissed with pain as Taehyun applied an antiseptic to his burn.

"Good job," Taehyun hummed, loosely applying a new set of bandages to the boy's arm. "You screamed a little less today than you did yesterday."

"Fuck you, Kang," the boy laughed. "You wouldn't be such a big talker if half of your arm was burned off."

"Hey, just because I'm a medic doesn't mean I haven't done my fair share of work."

"Yeah!" Another soldier called from a bed over. "Plus, his husband's on the front lines at the eastern border! You don't want to cross him."

"Alright, alright," the first soldier grinned. "My bad."

"Kang." A grimy, calloused hand grabbed Taehyun's wrist. "How's it looking today?"

Taehyun humorously glanced under the older soldier's blanket.

"Still no leg," he reported cheerfully. "Maybe it'll grow back tomorrow."

The man chuckled. "I sure hope so."

He sighed, laying back and staring off into space. Taehyun looked up as trucks filled to the brim with more injured soldiers rumbled to a stop in front of the building.

The nurse shook her head, pointing west.

"We're at capacity," she shouted. "Send them to the hospital down the road."

One of the soldiers hopped out of the back of a truck. He whispered something into the nurse's ear. Her face turned white, and she nodded stiffly before opening the bay door.

"What's wrong with the other hospital?" Taehyun asked, abandoning his post to help carry in the new patients.

The nurse took a time note of the tourniquet around one soldier's thighs. "That hospital's out of service."

"Out of service?" Taehyun frowned. "What do you mean out of-"

"Shh. Don't announce it to the whole world." The nurse pulled Taehyun aside. "I'm telling you this because I trust you. We don't want to cause a panic."

She let out a shaky breath. "They bombed the hospital."

"They bombed the-" Taehyun covered his mouth, eyes widening in fear. He took a step back, clearing his throat. "Were there any survivors?"

"I don't know. They're still looking."

"Are we targets? Should we move the patients to the bomb shelter?"

The nurse shook her head. "We can't. Not enough supplies down there."

The building groaned as another plane flew by.

Taehyun glanced up uneasily. "Do you really think we might get hit?"

The nurse didn't answer. She scanned the room, taking note of the incoming flood of patients. "Taehyun, bed sixty-four still needs changing."

"Right, sorry." He grabbed a stack of laundered bedsheets and turned to leave.

"Wait." The nurse gazed at him sympathetically. "Any news about your husband?"

Taehyun pursed his lips. "No."

"I'm sorry, kid. Maybe we'll hear something tomorrow."

"Yeah. Maybe." Taehyun stayed still for a moment before jogging off to bed sixty-four.