One

When Steve Rogers came out of the ice it was into a world he didn't recognize. A world where everything he had planned to have after the war wasn't there anymore. A world that was soon under attack and he was given a mission again. A team was formed of strong personalities. His team.

They saved New York and the world and The Avengers were born. They were treated like celebrities and hero-worshiped. To say it was a lot of pressure for a simple kid from Brooklyn was an understatement. Hell, Brooklyn wasn't even his Brooklyn anymore.

But he was adjusting. It was slow going but it was going. There was still something he wanted though. The one thing that he had always wanted, the one thing pre-serum he expected to never actually get. He wanted someone to love, to cherish, and to build a family with. In this new world, he had his doubts that he would find that.

And then he met you.

Before everything, before HYDRA, before the jet, he used to find joy in sketching. Maybe if he found his way back to that simple joy it would help him feel less out of place. He walked by that small art store countless times, and today he decided it was time to walk into it instead.

The chime above the door tinkled as Steve pushed into the small neatly cluttered store. It smelled like paint, paper, charcoal, ink, and something else he couldn't quite identify. His heightened senses latched on the unfamiliar but pleasing smell. He followed his nose towards the back of the store and found you.

Your nose was in a book and strands of your hair were falling into your eyes. You didn't look up until he was standing right in front of you. The smell was you and when you smiled at him he knew. You were it.

"Hello! Sorry about that, got sucked in, is there anything I can help you find?" Your voice was like a melody he had forgotten he knew and now that he was hearing it he knew it would be stuck in his head forever.

Steve rubbed the back of his neck and lost his words. You were smiling expectantly at him and then you said, "How about this, are you a complete novice to the artistic crafts or do you already dabble in some form of it?"

He wanted to listen to your voice for the rest of his life.

"Are you okay?" You asked, your smile falling into lines of concern.

Steve shook himself out of his daze and gave you a full smile, "Ah. Yes. I mostly sketch. Haven't in...several years and I'd like to get back into it."

You beamed, and his heart tripped. You slipped out from behind the counter and brushed past him, your scent wrapping tight around him as he followed you to the opposite back corner. You flourished your hands at the wall.

"Do you already have some supplies or are you basically starting from scratch in regards to supplies?" You asked him.

"Starting from scratch. I was just looking for some basic stuff. To help me pass the time and relax." Steve told you.

"What kind of budget do you have?" You asked next.

"Excuse me?" Steve had been distracted watching as you brushed your hair off your face and didn't quite catch what you asked him.

"Budget? Like how much you want to or can spend?" You clarified.

"Oh, uh, yeah. I guess not really." Steve said.

"You really are hopelessly lost with all this aren't you?" You asked him.

Steve shook his head, laughing lightly, "I guess I am. How about this, you seem to know your stuff so why don't you give me some recommendations?"

You nodded seriously and turned to look at the supplies, tapping your finger lightly against your bottom lip as you considered, talking quietly to yourself, "Okay, so, you like to sketch but haven't done it in a while. No budget. Hmm."