Fourteen

"What do you think of this one?"

Nat and Wanda looked up from the book they were pouring over to examine me at the three-sided mirror. You ran your fingers along the fabric over your waist. Nervous. You'd been fighting with nerves all day. It was time for you to find a wedding dress, considering you were getting married in less than four months.

"What do you think of it?" Nat asked as she leaned back on the little couch they were sitting on.

With your bottom lip caught between your teeth, you turned back towards your reflection. The dress was pretty enough, and you ran your fingers along the beadwork on the bodice as you studied it.

"Well, it's nice–"

"It's not it." Wanda said firmly before she looked back down at the book.

The dress rustled a little as you turned back towards the other women. "How do you know?"

Wanda glanced back up, her green eyes serious as she said, "If it was the dress, you'd not have to talk yourself into it. Trust me, when you have it on, you will know. Next one."

Letting out a huff, you lifted the skirt as you stepped down from the little stage and rustled your way to the dressing room. You'd been at this for what felt like days but really was only a couple of hours. Just couldn't understand why this was taking so long, why finding the right dress was such a huge thing.

Picking up the glass of wine that was on the counter in the dressing room, you tossed back the contents as the attendant helped you with the next dress. That was one thing nice about these extremely high class, and expensive, wedding shops. The booze and sweets offered were amazing.

Another hour and countless goodies and wine later and you were just a little tipsy. "I don't think I'm going to find it here."

Your voice was nearly a whine which just annoyed you. This was ridiculous. You decided that even if the next one was one you'd have to talk yourself into, you were going to just go with it. It didn't really matter to you and if Steve had wanted something specific he should have told you.

As the attendant helped you into the final dress you weren't really paying attention, you were over it. Your first indication of the dress was when you shuffled back out to the mirror. Both Nat and Wanda's heads had raised and there was a glint in both of their eyes that you wondered at it. But the next moment you were stepping up on the little stage and caught your reflection.

Your breath stuck in your chest as you looked at yourself. You didn't even remember seeing this dress brought into the dressing room. Wanda's words rang in your ears. When you have it on you will know.

And she was right. You knew. This was the dress. It was perfect and made you feel beautiful–like a queen. No. Like a Goddess.

There was a satisfied sigh from behind you and Wanda spoke, "Now, that is it."

You were grinning like a cat and you could feel tears pricking at your eyes. Laughing a little you wiped at your eyes, not expecting to have this kind of reaction. Perhaps it was the booze.

Twenty minutes later, the three of you were leaving the shop. You'd had a fitting scheduled for the end of next month for any alterations that needed to happen to get the dress just perfect. Outside on the sidewalk, Wanda slips her arm through yours as you walk back to the car you had taken here.

"I can't wait for Steve to see you in your dress," she said with a happy sigh on her lips. You smiled at the thought too.

"You want me to drop you off at your place?" Nat asked as you climbed into the car.