Chapter 28

Diaz was invincible, Kaze was sure of it. They'd all noticed at some point the purple hearts he wore on his uniform.
It was one day when it was Diaz watching over the trainees as they played with their wolves.

Kaze's uniform was being scratched continuously by Titan, the little black pup attempting to sink its teeth into the armor.
"Sir?" He spoke up, "What are the purple hearts for?"
Diaz sighed, cleared his throat, and told the story.

"Well, 888, a purple heart like these are given to soldiers who survive a fatal wound on the battlefield."
Kaze's eyes shone, and Diaz finds himself repressing a smile. Why?

"Woah...have you been doing this stuff for a while?" Kaze questioned, staring at the man with admiration.
"Yes I have," Diaz replied, "Military life is rough, kid. It's only getting harder from here on out."

Kaze shrunk, confusion taking over his features.
"But...I-I didn't want to..." His voice trailed off, slightly fearful of the commander's response.
Diaz rubbed his temple, shaking his head back and forth.

"Well trainee, you and the others don't a choice. You don't get a say in this," Diaz said harshly, "The military needs all the soldiers we can possibly get with him on the rise."
Kaze flinched at the emphasis put on 'him'.

"That's not fair," he barely dares to mumble.
Diaz sighed heavily again.
"Life's not fair. Get over it. The sooner you accept it the better. There is no way out of this and you cannot fight it."

The alarm rang, but questions still linger on the boy's tongue.
He wants to ask them all, but he doesn't.
Not with Diaz's gaze so fierce and cold. Not when everyone else was leaving. Not when this could get him hurt.

Kaze says goodbye to Titan, he runs a hand through the pup's fur and then he leaves to join his team.

---------

Then it happens again. They're out in the forest, with 'Embress' the rude lady, and Diaz.
It's by the statue again. Embress is watching over them, the others listening intently to the stories.

Diaz had whispered something to Embress, she had nodded and then seemed to be trying to keep the trainees busy.
Kaze noticed Diaz sneaking away, heading through the bushes and leaving.

This confused Kaze, so he did what any totally rational person would do. He followed the man.
After a bit, Diaz stops at a sandy area. It was surrounded by trees and forest, with a gravestone in the center.

Kaze snuck through the undergrowth, sucking in a breath as he came closer.
He froze as the crack of a tree branch beneath his foot sounded through the woods.

Diaz looks at the child briefly, practically whipping around to face him but relaxed when he sees it's only Kaze.
"Oh, 888," he says cooly, "What around you doing. You should be with the rest of the group."

Kaze swallowed, then forced himself to step out into the clearing to stand beside the man.
The gravestone had the name 'Akira Diaz' carved on it.
Kaze's jaw and heart dropped at the exact same time.

Diaz.
What?
Did Commander Diaz know whoever this was? What happened? What was going on?
"Sir...did you...did you know them?" He asks after a too-long moment of silence.

Diaz takes a deep breath in, and holds it as if he was contemplating what to say next.
"Yes, 888 I did. I knew her a long while ago," he said stiffly. Though it didn't sound like his usual too serious attitude. It sounded like he was trying to hold back tears.

That was a first. Kaze didn't know exactly what to make of it. He had never heard Diaz sound so...vulnerable.
Vulnerable seemed like a very odd word to use to describe Diaz. That big stoic man, the harsh man who always seemed closed off and cold to everyone around him.