Chapter 39

Trigger warning(s): violence, mild gore (beginning), bullying, trauma, mentioned drugging (very brief)

Time for Ace and Addison's past *evil cackling*

Ace and Addison rushed into the living room, their energetic laughter bouncing off the walls despite the late hour.
"You two go get ready for bed," their father said, hanging his coat on the coat rack.

They raced down the hall to their bedroom, still giggling by the time they were there.
"I won," Addison said triumphantly.
"Uh-uh," said Ace, "I won!"

"No! I-."
She was cut off as they heard the door bell ring.
"Who's that? Mama and papa aren't having any people over, are they?"
"I don't know," Ace muttered, "I'll go see."

Ace ventured down the hall, peeking out from the corner. His parents seemed to have invited whoever was at the door in- A man with near obsidian hair and eyes.

"Thank you for your hospitality," the mans voice was drenched in false thankfulness. Ace was surprised neither of his parents heard it, that cold edge to his voice.

Ace retreated back to his bedroom, where he found Addison already under the covers and reading a book by the lamplight.
"There's a weird guy," Ace said to her, "I don't like it."

"Probably fine," Addison responded off-handedly.
"Yeah, probably," Ace mumbled, more to himself than to his sister as he crawled into bed.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Ace's mind badgered itself over who that strange man; what he could possibly want. Money? Shelter for the night?

Ace would come to know that what the man wanted was no such innocent thing.

A blood-curdling scream shook the house. Ace shot up in bed, and Addison flinched violently beside him.
"What was that?" She whimpered.

More screams rang out, deafening.
Ace swallowed, and moved to the door.
"No!" Addison squeaked.
"Open the window," Ace whispered, "Crawl out if I don't come back."

Ace left the room, his footsteps silent, without another word.
Addison did as she'd been told, lifting the window with little struggle.

Ace crept down the hall, steeling himself to whatever he may see.
Nothing could have prepared him for the sight.

His father was laying in a pool of his own blood, eyes glassy and wide, a gaping hole in his chest where his heart should've been.
His heart had been crushed.
Ace nearly puked.

His mother was screaming. She was trying her damndest to fight off- The stranger.
"My babies!" She pleaded, "Please! My children! Don't hurt them! Please, please, please!"

Without a seconds thought, the stranger overpowered her and plunged the knife into her skull.
She choked, emerald eyes wide and their luster already lost.
Now Ace threw up in his mouth, jaw shut tightly to keep a scream from escaping.