The Ball Boy | Arthur Shelby

'The Ball Boy | Arthur Shelby'

•••••

SMASH

I duck.

Knock, knock.

Furiously, I open the front door beside the window that has just been smashed.

"What are ya playin' at?" I glare before realising stood infront of me is an older boy, I'd say around 17 as I'm only 15.

"Bloody hell, it were only an accident." The boy defends, looking down at me as though I'm some sort of joke with a pair of blue eyes, amusement shimmering in them.

"You've smashed the window." Croaking involuntarily at the intimidation that the boy infront of me holds, his looks being a start along with his age and towering height.

"Well yeah but it's a bit of fun."

"Just take the bloody ball and go." I huff as I grab the ball off the kitchen floor and shove it into the boys hands.

"Look we're neighbours, get ya mum to pop round and me Aunt will sort it, alright?" He bargains as he leans against the door frame.

"Fine."

"Lighten up, luv." He laughs before walking away.

|| Time Skip ||

•••••

"He smashed your window?" My best friend, Lucy, asks as we walk further down Watery Lane.

"Yeah, took Ma a little while to simmer but it's sorted now." I sigh, she really was quite upset to walk in from work yesterday to find me picking up bits of broken glass.

It's then that I feel something lightly hit the back of my foot and turning around it's the same ball.

"It's me brothers ball give it back!" A younger boy screams in a threatening tone as he and another lad race towards me.

Without thinking I pick the ball up.

"Whose is it?" I question the two boys.

"It's me older brothers, look he'll kill me if I don't give it back." One of them spits.

"Where is it you live?"

"Why should I tell you that?" The same boy snaps his head back towards me after frantically looking around, I'm guessing it's to see that his brother hasn't arrived on scene.

"Because I know where the boy whose ball this is lives." I raise an eyebrow.

"You're a stranger."

"I'm his neighbour."