nightmare

basic trope because i'm running out of ideas!!!!!!

katie:
My hand flew to my chest as I bolted upright. I could feel my pulse thumping erratically in my throat as I frantically tried to relax. Even as my nightmares became more frequent, alarmingly frequent, it became harder and harder to calm myself down.

I knew that I could possibly wake up someone in my cabin, so I clambered out of bed and stumbled to the door.

Air, I need air. I thought desperately. I swung the door to our front porch open and dragged in big gulps of air. It was pouring rain out, but the pounding of the rain drops only seemed to increase my anxiety, and not ease it.

As a daughter of Demeter, the outdoors had always been my own little solace. It didn't matter where, although I preferred the strawberry fields, being outside always made me feel better.

After each nightmare, I found myself escaping out of our cabin, even if it was just to sit on the porch until my breathing evened out. Normally, I relaxed after a few minutes and I could go inside. Tonight, evidently, that was not the case.

I stepped out into the pouring rain, hoping it would expel the tension in my entire body, and hopefully the shaking of it too.

It did not.

I looked around the camp grounds, almost completely dark except for one tiny light in the distance. I recognized the welcoming sight of the Big House, and thanked the gods that it was still unlocked.

I took off into a sprint, adding to the seemingly empt supply of air in my body. Rain pelted against my body as moved quickly towards the only chance at comfort I saw.

I tried to remember what the nightmare even was, but that was my biggest problem. My brain wouldn't even let me know what was making me so scared to go to sleep. I would nervously go to sleep, and then wake up not being able to breathe. Tears of frustration and helplessness sparked in my eyes as I kept running.

What is wrong with me? I silently demanded, not sure who I was even asking.

The Big House neared closer, and I slowed down only minimally as I threw open the door. I whipped my head towards the right, where the dim light was coming from a lamp in the corner.

And beneath that lamp-

"Katie?" He asked. A perplexed look on his face as I froze. I couldn't move. I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe.

For a few moments, nothing happened. It was like time literally froze, and I just stared at Travis.

Then, it all suddenly hit me at once. It was an avalanche of emotion, too much for me to handle as I frantically stumbled backward. I forced my mouth to open and tried to remember how to breathe, but I couldn't. Travis was up in an instant, immediately stepping towards me.

"Katie? What's wrong? What happened?" He asked, somehow gentle even as an edge grew in his voice.

My entire body couldn't seem to stop shaking, and I stepped back as he got closer, eventually hitting my back against the door I came in through.

This was Travis. I told myself. My enemy...or more recently, frenemy, as Annabeth and Percy had been "discreetly" trying to get us to tolerate each other more.

But nothing about the concern etched in his face made me feel like he would make a joke right now, even if I should feel that way.

My hand shook violently as I tried getting the door knob to open. The only sounds in the room were my frantic panting and the sound of Travis's feet as he moved closer.

So gently I almost couldn't feel it, he closed his hand around mine, stopping my attempts of leaving.

I looked up in alarm, spots dotting my vision as I still tried to breathe, and still only failing.

I can't breathe I can't breathe I can't breathe I can't breath.

He bent his head so he was level with mine, trapping me in a stare with his violently blue eyes. His face was close enough that I could the tiny freckle sitting underneath his right eye. The warmth of his hand over mind tethered me here, suddenly allowing me to realize that, for better or worse, this was real.

Travis moved his hands to my shoulders, and I dimly realized I was soaking wet. Something very obvious considering the run from my cabin, but I hadn't even noticed it until now.

"Katie." Travis murmured, drawing me back from my thoughts. My chest rose and fell with an alarming speed, and it still felt like every airway in my body was blocked.

"Katie," He repeated, "Take in one deep breath." Instructing me calmly, I felt the tension in my shoulders ease ever so slightly. Still, I couldn't stop shaking, either from the cold or from the fear that raced through my veins.

I shook my head, a choked noise coming out as I tried to tell him I couldn't.

Saying nothing, he slowly breathed in through his nose, showing me exactly how to do it. Struggling slightly, I repeated the motion, focusing solely on his cerulean blue eyes.

"Good." He affirmed quietly. He then blew the air out, only through his mouth. I could feel it tickling against my chin as I echoed the action.

"Just like that, Katie." Travis said, a reassuring smile on his face. I continued to deeply breathe in and out, and Travis did it with me. I realized with surprise that I had stopped shaking, and that somehow my hands came to gripping Travis' forearms.

Which were now cupping my face, carefully pulling back my hair. And also gently wiping away the tears that kept falling.

When I finally could breathe normally, Travis hesitantly stepped back, and I was forced to drop my hands.

"What happened?" He murmured, watching me with intent.

I didn't know what to say, because what could I say? I didn't even know what happened. I felt my eyes burn slightly as a strangled noise came from my throat.

In an instant, Travis had me wrapped up in his arms, my face pressed against his warm chest.

If there was even a chance to be embarrassed about this, it was gone, replaced only by the relief of finding comfort in someone else. Travis quietly hushed me, repeating my name and stroking my hair.

"It's okay, Katie. It's all okay." He said, making the tears fall faster because he was so nice. He didn't have to be here. He didn't have to be comforting me.

But he was. And I don't think I will ever get over that.

okay..... idek what to say. i have had this idea for like a month and i just randomly decided to start writing it today.

i was also thinking of maybe writing this from travis's perspective?? let me know if any of you would like that. anyways thank u for reading i love u all!!!

PLEASE VOTE 🙏🙏🙏‼️‼️‼️

*NOT EDITED*