Chapter Thirteen

Snow fell from the heavy gray sky, delicate beauty dancing through the wind on the frigid day. I paced around my aunt's frosted garden, breathing in the cool, peaceful air. Free of the suffocating walls of Usk or the pressure of the royal court, I could enjoy this Christmas.

But one corner of my happy tapestry remained unstitched. I had no letters from Richard. He would have no idea that I was spending Christmastide with my aunt and I had been too nervous to write him after my stepfather gave me that warning.

Not that I should care. My aunt had suggested several gentlemen who might agree to a marriage with me. Aunt Joan was the only person who cared about my future, but my enthusiasm was like an empty wine cask. The only prospects who would wed a maiden with no dowry were graybeards who wouldn't be looking to advance their families.

Faint music drifted over the winter winds. Everyone inside would be having a merry time, but I needed a moment for myself. I hated worrying about the motivations of every country gentleman who said something nice to me. Part of me was aware that I should jump at the first offer of a respectable marriage. Anything to get away from my stepfather. But I meant what I told Richard. One day, I might expect my future husband to fight for the Mortimer claim to the throne. Even if I wasn't happy about the notion of marrying someone so much older, I was less pleased that these men would never take risks. They were content to stay at home and have history forget them. One year at Usk made me realize I wanted more.

But no one would ever take the risk for me.

"Good day, Lady Anne."

I spun around, almost certain I had imagined the voice. "Sir Richard?"

It couldn't be him. He should be in Denmark, enjoying Christmas in splendor.

But he stood before me with a boyish delight on his face. "I have missed you!"

"I've missed you!" I exclaimed before I could stop myself. "How did you know I was here?"

"Lady Willoughby invited me." He grinned. "By law, she was my stepmother when wed to the Duchess of York."

"I remember my aunt was wed to the Duke," I said, minding my words. "But I wasn't aware you were close?"

I left unsaid what Aunt Joan told me about how little she saw him. The last thing I wanted was to remind him of past neglect."

"Not at all. That's why I was shocked when I received her message." He shook his head in disbelief. "In truth, I feared she wanted to warn me that my siblings were up to treasonous mischief in my absence. But when I arrived, she told me that I would find you in the gardens. Did you speak of her to me?"

"No, I can't imagine how she knew..."

The lie burned in my stomach, but I would rather bury myself in the snow than tell him that my sister had tried to claim he was a suitor. Of course I had forgotten that Richard never missed much.

His grin grew so bright that it felt like summer sun. "So there is something for her to know?"

"Not in the least!" I gave a reluctant sigh. "But I am happy to see you."

"I'm very happy," he said. "It's been far too long."

I gave a shy smile. "You must have just returned to England?"

"I did." He nodded. "I wasn't expecting to ride all the way out to see someone I never even considered family."

"Then why did you?" I brushed some snow from my sleeve. "Why not spend Christmas at the royal court? I'm sure Prince Hal would have wanted to hear of his sister's wedding."