Chapter Twenty-Four

The warmer days of July weren't the best for traveling. Heat, unwashed travelers, and insect bites almost made me long for winter days. But it was my one chance to visit my brothers, and I wasn't going to waste it.

At least Richard was at my side, and I didn't feel as alone in the world as we journeyed through the dusty roads.

"All will be well," he called over at one point and I wished I could believe him.

An impressive fortress, Pevensey Castle, had an ominous quality to me as it loomed in the distance. My brothers had been held in there for over two years, not allowed the liberty of most young men. I feared what the time had done to them, but when I met them in their quarters, a wave of relief washed through me. Still dressed with the dignity of their station, one look told me they hadn't suffered deprivations. They ran over me to me as if they were children, not young men of fifteen and almost seventeen. Taller than me, young Roger still had a gleam of mischief in his eyes that his imprisonment hadn't diminished.

Although both of them were far too pale for their age.

Edmund pulled away from our embrace with a serious expression on his face. "Dear sister, I've missed you."

Tears stung my eyes. "I would have come if possible."

I couldn't bring myself to tell them of the difficulties that Eleanor and I had faced. At least we were free. Eleanor hated to be left at home, but part of me still felt like I was traveling into a den of lions by visiting our brothers. The childish, frightened side of me worried that once I passed the walls of the castle, I would never return.

Richard stepped forward and Edmund gave him a careful look. It struck me that as Earl of March, my little brother was much higher in rank than my husband. But Richard had fought on a battlefield and had seen the world while Edmund had been stuck in this dreary place.

"We are brothers now, I've heard," Edmund said in a guarded tone.

Richard nodded. "It is something your sister and I wanted very much."

Edmund's face showed about as much emotion as the stone walls that surrounded him. "A rather dangerous game to play."

Roger gave a nervous smile. "This is happy news, indeed. After all, Anne was getting a bit old. How old are you now? Twenty?"

I resisted the urge to stick my tongue out. "Not until December."

"And I remember how you've fought in Wales!" Roger turned to Richard. "Have you tales about it?"

"That was rather a long time ago," my husband said. "Old news."

Roger chortled. "Hard to get any news here. Tell me about it. And I know your brother is quite fond of hunting. Do you hunt? I long for the sport, but..."

An uncomfortable silence fell between all. The King would never allow my brothers to do a simple activity that most young noblemen their age did. Not when it might give them the chance to slip away.

"How have things been?" I asked. "You've had tutors, I know. But I hope you have some fun."

"Sometimes we play tables with King James!" Roger leaned forward with a grin. "I'm better than him, but don't tell him that."

I was unsure if it should relieve me that my brothers were able to socialize with the young imprisoned King of Scots. The whole situation seemed sad, young men who should be the future of their families trapped in a grim fortress.

Richard and Roger began a discussion of hunting while I went to clean up from traveling. When I returned, they were still talking. My husband had learned quite a bit from his brother's incessant blathering on the topic. Edmund watched with an inscrutable look. It bothered me and I couldn't figure out the reason. There was a familiarity to it that I didn't like. I went over to him.