Chapter Twenty-Three

It was excruciating to endure a meal with the Prince of Wales. While Duchess Philippa's ladies made fools of themselves, staring at him as if he would favor them with anything other than courtly manners, I sat in silence and tried to control my temper.

Richard patted my hand under the table. Not once did he show any dismay, even when Prince Hal had essentially announced to everyone that Richard's hopes for advancement had no chance. My heart wrenched that he was trying to comfort me when our marriage had ruined him. I may never get him killed, but I had trapped him. For the rest of his life, he would have to rely on the York family to provide for his own.

Richard deserved better.

Edward rambled on about hunting, a topic he should have exhausted a long time ago. The tedium did little to help my nerves. And I hated the way he kept bringing up when Richard would botch a hunt.

"The lad had a deer this close!" Edward spread out his arms, almost smacking the Prince of Wales. "Still managed to let it get away."

He let out a hearty laugh as if that was the funniest joke in the world while Richard gave a strained smile.

"A little lass could have managed it." Edward shook his head. "Without a doubt, my brother's wife could have done it. Richard, perhaps she could teach you?"

If we didn't depend on Edward for security, I would be tempted to send an arrow into his bottom during our next hunting trip.

Prince Hal watched with a look of interest, but it seemed like his face was a mask hiding his true thoughts. I doubted he cared about Edward's dull opinions on the subject of hunting. As my brother-in-law blathered, the prince caught me staring and the corner of his mouth quirked up.

He cleared his throat when there was a lull in the mind-numbing conversation. "It seems a time for marriage. My friend John has wedded a great heiress, and it has changed his life. I feel like he will be remembered forever, even more than some of the older families."

John Oldcastle, his constant companion, puffed up at the compliment. I kept a pleasant smile on my face, unwilling to show any annoyance at Prince Hal's hint that my family would be forgotten.

Frustration pushed me away from caution. I tilted my head and attempted to look as charming as possible. "I hope my brothers will one day be able to wed." My heart thundered and my knee shook beneath the table, though no one but Richard would see. "I have found recently it is one of the greatest blessings on God's earth, as I'm sure Sir John can confirm."

"Quite right." The affable soldier gave a vigorous nod. "I've found much happiness."

"So I pray that my brothers get the chance." I held up my goblet as if about to toast. "Otherwise my child will have to inherit the Mortimer legacy."

Aware of what I risked with those words, I couldn't even take a drink of my wine. Perhaps I should have been grateful for what I had and kept my mouth shut. That's what women were supposed to do. Though I almost choked on nervousness, I had no regret. If the Lancasters were going to push me into the shadows, I was going to use my last chance to bring my brothers into the sun. With that move, I hoped to remind Prince Hal that my family wasn't nothing. They could lock away my brothers forever and deny my husband any favor, but the Mortimers would continue.

Prince Hal nodded. "That would be unfortunate. I'm certain you'll never have to worry. My father has given his wife the choice over who your brothers will marry."

I clasped my hands together as I struggled to conceal my whirling thoughts. It should give me hope that King Henry did such a thing. It indicated that there was a future for my brothers. A promise of eventual freedom.