Chapter Twenty-One

A frigid winter storm kept spring at bay as Countess Constance departed, but everything felt warmer in Conisburgh Castle when she was gone. I wouldn't let her words haunt me. Her pearls went in my trunk and I would have sold them if one important thing hadn't stopped me.

The necklace belonged to Richard's mother.

Afraid of opening the door to past pain, I never showed it to Richard. Constance planted a seed of fear in me, but I refused to let the bloody idea grow. For the first time in years, I was happy, and I feared doing anything to damage it.

When I spent time with Richard, it was easy to keep my fears buried at the bottom of a trunk. Without an official position, he spent his time riding on tasks for his brother, but that only occupied a small bit of his time. I made the most of my time with Richard, knowing one day he might have to fight for the Lancasters. Joy filled me when we laid on the carpet beside our fireplace, safe in our private sanctuary.

Cold winter nights passed faster than I ever experienced in my life. When spring arrived, we made our way to feasts late, and I had to hope nobody would notice the dirt stains on my skirts from our escapades in the garden. Catrin's knowing looks told me that I hoped in vain. But it was hard to care about what other people thought as the joyous chirping of birds filled the air and sweet sunshine kissed my skin. In Richard's embrace, I felt like a May Queen instead of a forgotten almost princess.

"Tell me about your childhood," I said as Richard laid his head on my lap while we were en déshabillé behind some hedges.

Though I hated meeting with Constance and the reason for receiving those pearls, it ignited my curiosity about Richard's past.

He gave me a sweet smile. "I've told you about it, my love."

I stroked his fair hair. "You tell me things, but never the whole tapestry. There's no need to hide anything from me. What was it like growing up here?"

Though I found comfort with Conisburgh Castle, I couldn't imagine the grim, dark halls were loved by a lively young boy.

He closed his eyes. "I was sent away for a great deal of time, like most young noble lads. I didn't think too much about it when I was young. It's the way of the world."

I kissed his forehead as the real reason he was sent away went unsaid. "Tell me your best memory."

He opened his eyes and grinned. "Marrying you."

I giggled. "And the second?"

A mischievous glint appeared in his eye. "What we were doing a few moments ago."

I poked him as I struggled to suppress a smile. "You're impossible."

"All right." He took my hand and pressed it against his lips. "It's a bit hazy. I was so young at the time. Perhaps no more than five. They say my mother was a scandal and I suppose there is quite a deal of truth in it. But at that age, I had no idea. All I knew was she was a beautiful lady, close to Guinevere. A bit too close to Guinevere, but that was to be discovered later."

I squeezed him, understanding his need to joke about the painful truth.

"She was from Castile, you know." He sighed. "Daughter of a deposed king and a mistress. Sometimes she would visit me and sing the Spanish songs of her childhood. I never understood the words, but I could almost picture her faraway home when she sang. Foolish, I suppose."

"Not at all," I murmured.

"It made me feel at peace. Even in the middle of winter, she could bring the sun with her singing." Sadness washed over his face. "When she died, her husband tried to remove all traces of her. Once he caught me singing one of her songs and... I'll just say that I never sang it again."