1. Big Changes

♥ Big Changes

Flying was by far the scariest thing I had ever endured. Sure, riding on a broom was fine and I was even good at it! But flying in a big metal container through the sky was a recipe for disaster.

Throughout the whole flight from Paris to London, I gripped the mouldy-smelling armrests tightly, gaining some strange looks from the muggles around me. What the hell was I doing this far off the ground without magic?! I had flown before, to visit mum once a year in England, but I was still scared out of my wits, but as soon as I thought of my mother, my mood instantly saddened.

The news that my mother had died arrived only yesterday as I was packing my belongings to spend the summer holidays with her. I never thought that I'd be coming home to her funeral rather than her warm hug.

Just thinking about her brought tears to my eyes and I still felt numb with shock. It didn't feel real, the whole situation felt like a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. I loved her so much, she was the only person who cared for me throughout my whole childhood. My father's identity got me lots of fame, but for all the wrong reasons. My fifteenth birthday was in a month and my mother wouldn't be there to celebrate with me as she always was.

"Are you alright, miss?" I turned to see the middle aged man next to me peering at me worriedly. I quickly realised that I had tears streaming down my face and I flushed with embarrassment, quickly wiping the traitorous tears on the back of my white woollen sweater.

"I am quite alright, thank you." My speech held both a French and English accent, making it sound a tad strange, but I quite liked it. He nodded and turned back to the magazine he was reading.

I looked out of the window, gazing at the clouds that hung like huge cotton balls below the plane. It was the first of July, the school year had just finished at Beauxbatons, I couldn't wait to go back, the palace was beautiful and it was home for me. I had spent the last four years, learning magic with my fellow students who were more like family. I would miss them over the holidays, most students live in France, and a few live in the surrounding countries, only a few odd students, like me, lived in England.

My mother was opposed to the English school, Hogwarts. I didn't know why she had such an aversion to it. I knew that it was quite bigger than Beauxbatons, though the grounds were smaller. I had never been there, though I had read Hogwarts: A history many times so I probably knew more about it than most students who attend it. By my third year at Beauxbatons, I had read their entire library and the teachers provided me with Seventh year advanced magic because they had run out of things to teach me.

An hour of torture later, the plane landed at Heathrow and I gratefully stepped off the metal monstrosity that had held me captive and began to walk from the gate to the baggage carousel.

The airport was crowded and I weaved my way through the masses of clueless muggles that constantly got in the way.

I was tempted to use repelling charms to help me through the crowd, but I couldn't. In England, witches and wizards under seventeen cannot perform magic outside of school without "The Trace" notifying the English Ministry of Magic. You would then get severely punished and possibly even suspended from school. In Paris, we had charms that were classified into categories depending on how powerful they were. Simple charms were only classified as fifth class charms and were legal for underage wizards and witches to perform. There was only one condition, if a muggle sees you, you would be expelled from your Magical Academy and have your wand seized. That was enough to frighten people out of attempting anything stupid.

I had to wait for half an hour in a crowded area before I finally spotted my luggage. Then, I was to catch a taxi to a place called St Agatha's House for girls. I suppose it was I nice way to tell you it was an orphanage and you were probably going to be stuck there until you turn eighteen. I hopped into the first taxi I could see and gave the driver the address. He nodded and started driving without saying a word.