9. Hogwarts Part 2

"It's amazing isn't it?" I nodded at Luna, still staring at the school. The lights from the windows made the walls glow in a warm yellow light. I suddenly felt nervous about the sorting. Both my mother and father were in Slytherin and given their reputations, I would be too. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I didn't want to be in Slytherin, judging by what I've heard, they were not generally like or well respected. I worried about what my new friends would think about me if I got sorted into the green house. I felt someone take my hand and squeeze it gently. I looked up into a pair of green eyes.

"Stop worrying, well still like you no matter what house you're in." I looked into Harry's eyes and saw nothing but honesty.

"Thank you." I said with a smile grateful of his kind reassurance. The carriages rolled to a stop and we disembarked. A huge marble staircase lead to the huge and imposing front doors of the school and students began to eagerly climb up to the entrance hall. Harry, Ginny, Luna and I all made our way up and into the hall, not seeing Ron or Hermione anywhere amongst the crowd.

"Miss Thomas! You must wait here." I turned and saw a strict elderly witch standing at the entrance of the Great Hall. Her robes were made of a deep green satin and her hair was pulled up into a tight bun. I smiled and waved goodbye to my friends and made my way over to join her. I saw her narrow her gaze suspiciously at me, probably running my formidable history in her mind.

"I'm just letting you know in advance, Miss Thomas. We will not tolerate any misbehaviour at Hogwarts. If you put one toe out of line, you will be out faster than you can say 'transfiguration.'" I was baffled at how quickly she seemed to dislike me, but nodded my head anyway. By this time, the first years were arriving from the row across the lake and they all looked happy and excited. Many looked nervous and I was a tiny bit relieved that I wasn't the only one.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said the stern witch, addressing all of the first-years and myself. "My name is Professor McGonagall. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school." The small kids began whispering excitedly but most of them were pointing and staring at me. I shifted uncomfortably under their intense scrutiny.

"Follow me." I sighed with relief as Professor McGonagall returned and diverted the attention away from me. The heavy wooden doors opened and I saw shocked me.

The huge hall was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Professor McGonagall led the first years up here, so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. The hundreds of faces staring at them looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight. Dotted here and there among the students, were ghosts who shone a misty silver color. In front of us was placed a simple wooden stool and a battered old hat. I saw all the first years cast confused glances at the hat but I knew what it was. Then it opened its mouth and began to sing.