Chapter 31- Just a Little Human

Monokuma didn't say it, neither did we discuss it amongst ourselves but somehow, all of us knew another killing would never happen.
I spent my days exploring the newest island, where we had found some kind of building ruin.
Life was neither really good nor bad. It was grey, like the color of the sky.
Y/N never talked with us in all this while, having subtly drifted away from us, sitting by his grave day and night, silenced with hopelessness. I knew if I went closer to her I would drive her away, so I took care of her on Nagito's behalf from afar.
Once I saw her do something curious. She was standing at the shore, emptying a bottle of something which looked like medicine into the sea.

The (suicide?) note I had found in Nagito's pocket was still with me. I knew I had no right to read it, but Y/N had granted me permission.
I felt like it could be something important. Perhaps Nagito had explained his behavior? Why he wanted only the traitor to live and why...he had to sacrifice himself. I pulled it out of my pocket. Nagito's curly writing was scrawled across the paper. Taking a deep breath, I started reading.

Dear Y/N,
If you're reading this letter, it must mean my plan didn't work and the traitor has been executed. But I'm not entirely upset. Because at least you're alive. Beneath my desperation for this plan to succeed, there was a part of me hoping it didn't work.
I took some Memory Pills right before I told you I would sleep. Remember the orange juice can? It had water in it. I swallowed it with my back turned to you. I saw us, the Remnants of Despair worship and carry on the legacy of Junko Enoshima. That made me all the more desperate to carry out the plan that would lead me to my death and protect the only sane person who wasn't involved.

Condemn and punish me all you want in another life, but find a way to escape this wretched island. Find out who the mastermind is. Survive. I love you. I wanted to tell you that but I couldn't bear to face you. I don't remember the last time I looked you full in the eyes. And now I never will.

By the way, I never meant to blow up the island. That was just an empty threat to get the traitor to come forward. The 'bombs' were actually really loud and pollution emitting fireworks.
I entrust all my hope in all of you. Hold on to it for me, if you can. I love you. Yes, I'm aware this is the second time I've mentioned that.
No amount of times would ever suffice. Forgive me and remember me. Tell people about me. Build a bronze statue of me. Call me the Ultimate Hope.
Ever yours,
Nagito Komaeda

I swallowed as I finished reading. So this was...Nagito's suicide letter.
But what was he even saying? I couldn't understand a single thing.

I knocked thrice on Y/N's door. Of course she didn't answer.
"I'm...I'm coming in!" I call out.
Silence. I sigh and creak open the door slowly to peer in. She sat on the floor with her back turned to me, leaning on the bed. I could only see the top of her drooping head.

"Hey...Y/N?" I urge softly, walking around the bed to crouch down next to her. Her hair covers the entirety of her face. She's holding a bottle of crimson pills with both of her hands. Perhaps she's sleeping. I gently shake her shoulders to move her awake.

She sighs in her sleep and raises her head, but she never looks at me.

"Why did you bring me back here..." She mumbles unhappily.

"Hey, I came here to give you something. You remember that letter I tried to pass on to you?" She responds with quietude, her hair still falling all over her face shabbily. I guess this is the best I can expect.

"You should really read it. It says a lot of things I don't understand...I need you to help me."

Again, she doesn't say a word. I place my hands on her shoulders to look her full in the face and gasp.
Her cheeks are sunken in. She hasn't been eating. Her eyes are unfocused and staring into a non existent abyss. Even now she stares and stares away. I can tell she hasn't taken a bath in days.