Thirty

Jimin looked at Kookie, and an unpleasant thought trickled through him. He squeezed the maknae's wrist getting him to lower the phone.

"Are you falling for her?" Jimin put every ounce of effort into controlling his own emotions. He loved Kookie and if they were in love with the same woman the last thing he wanted was for it to tear them apart.

"Naw, but I do feel possessive of her. She's yours but she's ours too. I don't like that she's with Felix, it makes me feel like she's going to leave us again." Kookie shrugged and Jimin scrutinized his face for a long time before deciding he was telling the truth.

"What if Yoongi is right that we aren't what she needs? What if she should move on and be happy with Felix?" Jimin said this miserably and Kookie bumped his shoulder against him.

"Then we'll have to let her, but for now I'm not going to stop trying to hold things together." Kookie looked determined and Jimin laughed sadly.

"I don't think I can get it together and be what she deserves. I don't think Felix is either but how can I even throw stones knowing I might be worse for her?" Jimin flopped back against the couch cushion, his head starting to hurt.

YN: Is he going to fall in love with someone else Kook? Am I going to have to watch it happen on Dispatch's website?

"She wants to know if I think you're going to fall in love with someone else." Kookie turned looking at the prostrate Jimin and the wave of anguish that crossed his features.

"I knew finding out about Chloe was going to make her feel that way." He sighed wiping his fingers through his hair, the tension showing on his face.

"What do I say?" Kookie's thumb hovered over the tiny phone keyboard.

"Jin's right, I can't use you to communicate my agenda. She's your friend, talk to to her as yourself. I'm going to get a shower, I know you're on the side of what's right and would never sabotage me." Jimin stood kissing the top of Kookie's head and went into the bathroom the soft click of the door shutting leaving Kookie alone.

~

Kookie's response made you immediately defensive. You didn't want to let in the thought that Jimin was doing no worse than you'd already done. He didn't owe fidelity to his ex girlfriend any more than you'd owed it to him. And if he found someone that made him happy, even if it left you feeling like an empty cup with a hole on the bottom, he deserved that.

YN: Is he going to fall in love with someone else Kook? Am I going to have to watch that happen on Dispatch's website?

You didn't think you could stand it, just another unfortunate side effect of dating someone famous. Someday you'd have to watch him get married, have kids, thank his partner in speeches, and all the other minutia of life.

JK: How's he going to do that when he's still in love with you?

YN: I'm starting to wonder if that's even the truth

JK: He's in a bad place, don't take this the wrong way but what Irene and Taemin did to you impacted him as much as it has you, and as far as I know neither of you have confronted any of that together

If you thought his first message put you on the defensive this truth bomb made your chest feel hollow and your stomach clench. Aside from those moments in your hospital room, you'd never discussed the accident at all. Could Kookie be right? Was the fallout of what happened terrorizing him?

YN: Will you take care of him for me Kook?

JK: Of course, does this mean we're strictly platonic?

You didn't know how to answer his question, you suddenly felt guilty for things far beyond just sleeping with other people. You'd not supported Jimin, you'd not let him support you, and you had more blame in the demise of your relationship than you'd accepted.