» Chapter 8 «

C H A P T E R 8

C H A P T E R 8

tw: mentions of violence, blood, and death.

The moon was high in the sky, and the small apartment was silent, besides the soft sound of the drama that was playing on the TV. Miyo sat on the couch with Aiko curled up next to her, purring as she scratched her back gently.

Just as the drama on the TV was reaching its peak, the sound of a door opening caught Miyo and Aiko's attention, even though only the former turned back to see what was happening, while the latter opted to yawn as the new presence made itself known in the room.

"Keisuke, honey, are you going out?" Miyo questioned her son, as she noted he wasn't wearing his pyjamas, but his casual clothes.

"Yeah, Kazutora said he needed my help to get Mikey's gift, so I'm going with him."

"This late at night...? What store is even open right now?" Knowing how late it was, and how easy it was for her son to get in trouble, Miyo couldn't help but share her concerns. Granted, Aiko seemed to sense how nervous the woman was getting, for she was now fully alert and looking at Baji.

"I don't know." Baji shrugged "But there must be one downtown or something. No need to worry, I promise I'll be careful." Not necessarily convinced with his answer, but knowing how stubborn her son could be, Miyo nodded her head slowly at him, giving him her permission to go out. What was curious though, was that when he was speaking, it seemed as he was trying to reassure Aiko, and not her, as he was looking directly at the cat as he spoke.

But again, those two are as thick as thieves. And as a way to prove her thoughts, as soon as Baji made his way towards the door, Aiko jumped out of the couch and followed him, making the woman slightly laugh and shake her head, turning once again her focus on the TV.

At the door, now outside of his mother's sight, Baji sat down to put on his shoes when he feels a small presence next to him.

"You don't need to come this time, you know?" He stated in a low voice at the cat next to him. At the unconvinced look his guardian angel was giving him (how she managed that look on a cat's face, he will never know), he tried a different approach. "I know you must still be tired from yesterday; I saw how drained you looked after healing me." And how shaken up she still was even if the incident happened the day before, but maybe it was best if he didn't mention that, otherwise he wouldn't be able to convince her to take a day off and relax.

A shake of the head was all he got from the cat, sighing he got up from his position, but not before grabbing her and making his way back to the living room. "You spend all day on the couch sleeping, you lazy cat, so go back to it."

With that said, Baji put her gently on the couch next to his mother (who was looking at the two in amusement), before turning back and leaving the house, without looking back.