» Chapter 22 «

C H A P T E R 2 2

C H A P T E R 2 2

Baji felt like punching something, preferably himself.

All of his plans to protect his friends, his family, and his Guardian Angel¸ were all backfiring. He thought that by cutting ties with everyone, they were all going to let him go and not make too much of a fuss. Clearly, he underestimated his friends' loyalty. Especially Chifuyu's and yours.

Even though he hadn't seen you ever since your fight in front of his apartment, Baji knew that you were still looking out for him – if the abnormally fast healing of all his injuries from all of his recent fights were anything to go by, or the fact that his mother was with a fever the previous night and today was as good as new. He knew you weren't close by; he had learned to feel your presence from all the time you had spent together, so you were doing this from somewhere far away. And that made all of what was happening hurt more. Because he realized that for a Guardian Angel to do their job, they didn't need to be close to their human, they could be anywhere in the world and still look after them, but even so, you had decided to stay close to your humans from the beginning, always doing your job under the disguise of an animal of their liking, so that you could give them a source of physical comfort every time they needed. And on top of that, he had been blessed with the chance of seeing you, not as Aiko, the cat, not as another animal, but as you. And he managed to fuck it up as regularly as possible. And he knew, deep down he knew, that for his plan to work he hadn't needed to push you away like he had done to his other friends.

He could have told you of his plan, and you would even help him without him asking. But a part of him didn't want that, because, for his plan to work, he had to become someone totally different from what he was, go against all of his beliefs and morals and do things he didn't want to. That made him feel so ashamed of himself that it was easier for him to rise all of these walls around himself and not let anyone in, rather than let you in because that would mean he had to express what he was feeling and going through, and if there was something Baji wasn't good with, was with his words. Every time he felt like saying fuck it and tell you, he ended up getting so frustrated that he just pushed you further away, so in his mind it was easier to just cut you off entirely.

The same thing happened with Chifuyu.

He wanted to let his best friend in on his plan, but that would mean putting him at a greater risk than the one he was already in. But even so, and despite the fact he hadn't said a word to the blonde, he was clearly smarter than he looked, because even in the dark, Chifuyu was able to put almost all of the pieces together and continued to believe in Baji and that he was simply acting like this to save Toman and end Kisaki. Which was the truth, but he could never admit it to him, and because of it, he ended up dismissing him once again – luckily this time their encounter didn't end up in a fistfight. Gods knew how much it took Baji to hurt the blonde and how much he hated himself for it. However, after his talk with his (former) best friend earlier in the day, by the bridge, Baji couldn't help but feel a sense of dread creeping into his mind. Especially after Takemitchi's words.