» Chapter 14 «

C H A P T E R 1 4

C H A P T E R 1 4

tw: slight mention of violence at the end of the chapter

Baji watched as you crouched down next to a little girl with pigtails that was standing close by and looking at a stand of candy. By the corner of his eyes, Baji could see that the kid was having a hard time choosing what kind of candy she wanted, and that her mother was getting more restless by the second, probably having other affairs to take care of. However, as soon as you got to the kid's level, Baji could hear your soft voice guiding her to her preferred choice, and just as you finished talking a smile came to your face when you saw the kid grin and point one of her small hands towards a pink and white lollypop.

"...fighting ring?" Chifuyu's voice snapped Baji back to reality, and to the talk he was previously having with his best friend; the one he was having before he got distracted by his other friend that decided to wonder off. And even though he only caught the last bit of Chifuyu's sentence, Baji knew what he was talking about.

After all, that was one of the reasons they decided to meet up today; not just because they decided to grab some ice cream together, but because they had some things to discuss related to Toman.

According to some rumours spreading around the lower ranks of the gang, some members decided to create a system of illegal fighting where they put new recruits fighting each other and placed bets.

Just as he was about to answer his friend and give his thoughts on the matter, you got back to his side and mirrored Chifuyu's last words with a tilt of your head, wondering what they were talking about, making him spare you a quick glance before diverting his attention back to Chifuyu.

"Do you really think someone would be dumb enough to start some shit like a fightin' system under Toman's name?"

At the face the blonde gave him, Baji ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "They must be really fuckin' dumb then."

"But Baji-san, there's the possibility this is nothing but a rumour. You know it wouldn't be the first time." Chifuyu reminded him, as a way to not stress his friend and captain with the situation.

Drumming his fingers on his leg in a rhythmic movement, Baji got lost in his thoughts, trying to make sense of what was happening.

As of late, Toman has been growing stronger and their numbers have been increasing as well, so it wasn't as easy to know what everyone was up to, like at the beginning. Consequently, it wasn't as easy to control who got into the gang and who didn't, so it was possible that some bastards got into their ranks unnoticed.

That was one of Baji's biggest fears. Toman was originally created with a simple goal: establish a new golden era for delinquents in the region, never forgetting its honourable ideals and beliefs. And if there was someone out there using Toman's name and damaging their image with their actions, Baji would make sure he would stop them; no matter the cost.