20.

the friend was walking down the alley. dim light shone across the street, while the moon hid behind clouds. as usual he wore a hoodie, the strings knotted together, his coat open; he hated how it felt when it was zipped up. he stopped and his hand disappeared inside his pocket as he fished out a pack of cigarettes. he took one out and placed one between his lips, lighting it up.

guy: beat it, asshole. can't you see this alley is off-limits for filthy rats like you?

he looked up. three guys stood in front of him. they had their hands crossed, flashing a wide grin as they eyed him. the friend simply looked back at them, taking a puff from his cigarette.

guy: you heard me, fuck off.

the friend chuckled softly and inhaled another time before throwing the unfinished cigarette onto the floor. he brushed a hand through his hair.

friend: or what, huh? you feeling tough?

the guy who had been speaking cocked an eyebrow. for a second his eyes flashed in confusion, but he straightened his back, head held up high.

guy: last warning. or are you looking for a fight?

the friend let out a laugh. emptily, cunningly.

friend: that was the general idea, yea.

he had just enough time to crush the cigarette below his foot before a fist reached his cheek. and he coughed. a crooked grin appeared on his face.

guy: you asked for it, freak.