43.

friend: you can't do this.

the friend raised his voice in disbelieve and folded his hands into fists, knuckles turning white. the cigarette he had been holding between the tip of his fingers fell shriffled onto the pavement.

dad: and why can't i? i'm his father after all.

the friend had been at his place - sitting on the porch, a whiskey filled coffee mug next to him on one side, the neighbours' cat on the other, a cigarette in between his lips - when the dad arrived in front of his doorsteps bearing the news.

dad: i know you're his friend and that he meant a lot to you, but it has been long enough.

the friend clenched his jaw so hard, his teeth hurt.

friend: means. he means a lot to me. at least to one of us he isn't considered dead, but i guess he was dead to you long before the accident, huh?

the dad straightened his back, crossing his arms over his chest and kept quiet. nobody spoke for a while, but the friend refused to avert his gaze from the dads'. it took everything in him not to lash out, but if that is what it took to keep his friend alive, he would.

dad: you should show me some respect. i've been nothing but nice to you. i'm letting you know what is going to happen. it's time for you to move on.

the friend's body was trembling in frustration. he kept shaking his head over and over, mumbling quietly underneath his breath. his anger turned to hopelessness and desperation, he felt gutted, nauseated. it was overwhelming. and it was in that moment, when he realized the dad wouldn't sway, wouldn't reconsider, that there might be only one option left. so he shred off all his pride and lifted his head, his hands deep inside his coat pockets, standing tall and looming.

friend: if you let him live, i can tell you what happened the day your wife and son had the accident. how it happened.

the dad took a step back, stumbling, before he found his footing and recovered. he inhaled deeply.

dad: i already know what happened. a car accident.

the friend simply raised an eyebrow, the corner of his lips curled into a crooked grin and he spoke, articulately, mockingly.

friend: are you sure about that, sir?