24.

friend: your dad and i got into an argument again. it was stupid. he just showed up at my place yesterday and went on about how i was manipulating you, how i took you away from him.

he stood in the corner of the room, running a hand through his hair. a gesture he barely noticed he did. he stared at his feet.

friend: remember when your dad came over for the first time? you were already crashing at my place and he was there one day, just out of the blue. he wanted to take you back with him. back to his home. i said he was selfish, a coward. i was ready to set him straight for what he had done to you for all those years. hoe he neglected you. took you for granted.

he let out a soft, empty laugh and shook his head at the thought of it.

friend: i was right, though, and you knew it. but you are you. too nice, too much wanting to please others. you forgave him for what he did without second thought. that's also why you're so special to me. you accepted me. me, of all people. you were so friendly from the very first meeting. to be around you was like a drug. of course i couldn't let him just take you away again only for him to belittle you again.

he sat down again, playing with the ring around his finger, and he grew silent. his thoughts were jumbled together and wouldn't leave him alone. he couldn't seem to silence them anymore. images of the accident flashed before him, branded on his eyelids. when he finally spoke again, his voice was a mere whisper.

friend: but now, i'm not so sure anymore. not really sure about a lot. what if your dad was right? are you in this hospital because you couldn't say no to me either? because if you had, the accident would possibly have never happened in the first place. am i to blame? did i do this to you?