Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I told Rex a little about my background, but we didn't stay long at the beach after that. When I looked at the time I realised school would be finished soon so I texted Jax to let him know I was going straight home instead of back to class.

When we got back to the parking lot I was struck with so much sadness my eyes began to water. Rex would drop me off at home and then who knows when I would see him again. If I'd ever see him again. We felt so connected, like we were meant to be together in some way.

"You alright?" Rex asked while he placed his hand on my back, moving me closer so he could search my face.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just a little sad. I mean...I only just met you and now you're leaving."

He let out a small sigh and pulled me into his arms, crushing me against his chest.

"I know," he replied.

We were standing like that for a minute or so in silence, just giving each other comfort when he loosened his grip then placed his hand under my chin and lifted my face.

"If you ever need me Storm just call me okay?" He said raising his eyebrow.

I just nodded not trusting my voice.

"I mean it Storm, even if you just need to talk to someone. I want you to call okay?" and then he kissed me.

 It was so short and sweet, and it was the best kiss I had ever had. I was a little disappointed when he pulled away and suddenly very shy. Rex must have noticed because he leaned forward and kissed me on the cheek.

"Come on I better get you back," he stated before climbing onto his bike.

This time when I got onto his bike I didn't hesitate to wrap my arms around his solid chest.

Rex dropped me off at the local shops which were just up the road from my place. When we pulled into the car park, he jumped off his bike and pulled me off into a bone crushing hug.  He then placed me on my feet while he pressed a small kiss on my forehead.

"I'll call you Storm," was all he said before he left.

I stood there watching his bike drive away holding onto his last words. I was glad he didn't linger before he left. It would have been even harder to say goodbye which I forgot to say. It was too hard to say the words out loud.

I slowly made my way home lost in thought.  The walk wasn't long and I was glad no one was around when I got there. I headed straight up to my room, pushing open the door and getting the fright of my life.

"There you are!" Kate screeched as she made her way over to me.

"Oh hey Kate. How long have you been here?" I asked moving further into my room and sitting on my bed. 

"Not long, I came to apologise," she stated with a frown on her face.

"Apologise for what?" 

"It wasn't my fault, honest. I tried to lie but he saw right through me, so in the end I told him. I'm really sorry Storm, he just wouldn't let up and you know how he is," she blurted as she twisted her hands together.

"How who is? What are we talking about?" I asked confused. My thoughts were still on Rex and Kate looked so worried.

"Jax, he knows...about his birthday I mean. I'm sorry Storm I-I."  She was beginning to stammer.

I held up my hand to stop her.

"It's ok Kate, it's not your fault my brothers a jerk." I shrugged.

"Wait, you're not mad at me?" she asked still worried.

"No, of course not. I knew he would bug you today. I should have warned you, but never mind at least I don't have to hide anything now."

"Well that's not what I expected," She replied as she slowly let out her breath she was holding. "I thought you would be pissed. I'm glad you're not because I'm pissed at you," she said pointing at me.

"Me? What did I do?" I asked confused.

"You went shopping without me, you dork. Do you know how boring school was today without you."

"Oh," I said laughing "I didn't go shopping actually."

"Huh? Jax said you went shopping today, that's why you left school early," she asked giving me a questioning look.

"Nah I was with a guy," I said looking away from her.

I missed him already. I feel so stupid, I only just meet him and I had these feelings for him, I wasn't even sure what these feelings were.

"You were on a date!" she asked accusingly.

"Yea I guess so; we had lunch at the surf then went for a walk along the beach." I shrugged.

"Oh my god," she squealed as she jumped on the bed next to me. "Tell me everything."

"Okay but under one condition.  You help me put Jax's present together," I replied, raising an eyebrow to try and act serious. I would tell her no matter what her answer is.

"Deal!"

After sending out a few text invites to Jax's and our friends about his party on Friday, we spent a couple of hours sorting through photos, adding them to the album and placing stickers and things to make it look good. I told Kate as much as I could about Rex, leaving out anything remotely wolf. She was ecstatic. Kate has always been the romantic type, whenever we had movie night she would put on the same movies like Romeo and Juliet, The Note Book and Titanic.

"I wish I got to meet him," She stated sighing, as she looked up at the ceiling with a far away look.

"Yea so do I."

"Oh my god Storm, you have to see him again. I mean it's like you two are destined for each other," she replied dreamily.

I burst out laughing and Kate frowned at my sudden outburst.

"What?" she asked still frowning.

"Nothing Kate, I'm just glad you're my best friend," I said pulling her into a hug. She could always put a smile on my face even if she didn't mean to.

The next day flew by in a flash, with school and preparation for the party; it felt like I was running out of time. I ignored Jax the next day, mad that he couldn't let me just surprise him for once. He seemed to know how I felt because he kept himself scarce at school. I had just gotten home from school when I received a text from Rex.

"Are you okay?" was all it said.

 I started to blush. I hope he didn't think I had been sitting here moping since he left.

"Yea I'm fine, just getting things ready for the party." I texted back.

"Ok cool, if you need me don't hesitate to call Storm, be safe and keep your brother close," he replied.

 Hmm I wonder what that was all about. I was going to text him back but didn't really know what to say so in the end all I managed was a simply "Ok." I couldn't help but wonder what his message meant. I felt a connection with Rex the moment I had met him and I knew he felt it too but this was different. It was like he was actually asking if I was safe or hurt and it scared me a little. He told me to keep Jax close and I didn't understand why.

I had a headache by the time I went to bed. I thought about calling Jax and telling him about Rex but decided against it. I wanted him to be happy tomorrow and I knew he wouldn't if he found out I had kept this from him. I went to sleep that night with Rex on my mind.