Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I could hear a whispered argument going on between Jax and Rex as I sat there looking out at the waves, but I was too angry to really care much. I was so disappointed with Jax that I felt like crying. I just couldn't understand why he didn't tell me any of this. He said he had killed others, so those people back in the forest weren't the first and it made me sick to my stomach. My brother wasn't like them; killing for no reason. He can't be like them, I would have known. Wouldn't I? My chain of thought was broken when I heard two pairs of footsteps approaching. Rex sat down on my right and Jax to my left. I sighed into my hands lightly as Jax put his arm around me.

"I'm sorry Storm, I know I should have told you about meeting other rogues, but I just didn't want this sort of life for you," Jax said as he gently rubbed my back.

"What sort of life Jax? Because if you mean being abandoned by my parents and turning into a wolf, well I'm sorry Jax, there's nothing you can do about that; is there? I deserved to know, I am a part of this screwed up story to, remember?"

"You don't understand Storm. I did it to protect you from them. If I had told you, you would have searched for other wolves, but they can't tell us what we need to know; they're just mongrels...literally," he said with a sigh.

"He's right Storm; well sort of," Rex said agreeing with Jax.

I turned and scowled at Rex's comment, noticing his sly smile on his lips.

"So you two are buddies now are you?" I asked sarcastically.

"I wouldn't go that far, but we talked and I'm not going to hurt him... for now," Jax replied smugly.

I looked up into Jax's face searching to see if he was serious or not; he was smiling but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Rex nudged me with his elbow making me turn in time to see him rolling his eyes with a sly smile.

 "Okay...good I think. So what happens now? I mean we can't just leave those rogues back there can we?"

"Don't worry about it, I'll sort it," Jax replied.

"Sort it out how? Oh let me guess, just like you sorted all the other rogues you killed right?" I said spitefully.

"Shit Storm, just let it go for tonight would you!" He racked his hands through his hair, frustrated.

"Come on Storm. Lighten up, it is still his birthday remember," Rex said to me with a grin on his face.

I could tell he was being overly nice on purpose. His tone of voice was almost sarcastic. It made me wonder again what I had missed after I decided to storm off. I was starting to get a headache from all the alcohol I had drunk and my bite marks were beginning to throb. I just wanted to go home and have a long hot shower and climb into bed; this will be one of Jax's birthdays I will definitely never forget.

"Okay fine. God I think I liked it better when you were at each other's throats," I said scowling and rolling my eyes at Rex causing him to chuckle. "But I have one more question," I said turning back to Jax. "Why did you tell me not to shift?"

Jax stared at me for a second before answering. "Because you were no threat in your human form. I knew the moment you shifted he would have crushed you."

It was true. I knew deep down I was a heartbeat away from dying tonight. If it wasn't for Rex and Jax I would probably be lying cold and breathless under the same bush the rogues were hidden under right now. I wrapped my left arm around Jax's and hugged him while I grabbed onto Rex's arm with my right. "Thank you, thank you both for saving me back there."

"Anytime beautiful," Rex replied causing Jax to scowl.

"Come on we better go," Jax said while helping me up.