chapter 20

Chapter 20

“Arghh....”  I woke up with a dull headache and dying of thirst. When I opened my eyes I noticed a small table had been placed in the cell with a tray of food and a jug of ice cold water. I got up off the bed slowly not wanting to rush out again and found that all the light headedness I had before was gone.

I drained two full glasses of water and sat back down on the bed with a third glass in my hand. I began to look around the cell and noticed things that I hadn't been able to process before. The cell I was held in was roughly three to four metres square and painted a faded blue that was cracked in places. The bars keeping me in my cell weren’t just an ordinary steel, they were a hundred percent silver so I didn't dare go near them.

 It wasn't long after Jax shifted that we learned to avoid silver. One day my mother and I went shopping for my dad's birthday gift when I came across this beautiful silver coated bracelet. It had a silver plate in the middle that you could get a message or name carved into and I just had to get it for Jax.

“Please mum can I get it? I want to get it for Jax,” I begged my mother.

 “We’re supposed to be shopping for your father’s gift Storm,” she replied looking at me with her eyebrows scrunched up.

 “I know mum, but please, it's really beautiful and Jax well; he just deserves it.  Please mum,” I said pleading.

 Her face softened automatically and she began to smile. My mother always understood the relationship between me and Jax and the bond we shared.

 “Oh go on then but it's coming out of your allowance missy,” she said smiling and pointing her finger at me.

That afternoon I gave Jax the bracelet. I had his name carved in the front and on the back it read together forever. The moment Jax picked it up he dropped it like it had just burned him.

 “What is it? Don't you like it?” I asked a little disappointed.

 “No Storm I love it, it just felt like...” Jax replied breaking off his sentence.

 “What?” I asked picking it up off the floor.

 “Nothing Storm; here put it on me,” Jax said holding out his wrist.

I wrapped it around his wrist and snapped the clasp in place, stepping back to take a look. Jax was standing there clenching his fist and still holding out his wrist. When I looked at the bracelet I noticed his skin underneath was turning bright red as if it was burning him.

 “Take it off,” I nearly screamed steeping forward and grabbing his wrist.

 “Its fine Storm, leave it,” he said pulling back his wrist.

“No way, it’s burning you,” I said launching forward and undoing the clasp, letting it drop to the floor.

The noise of footsteps coming down the hall snapped me out of my memory. It better be Rex, I’ve got to get the hell out of here I thought to myself.  But it wasn't. There were two of them. One was that guy Lincoln I think his name was. I could see the four gashes down the right side of his face from where I had scratched him. They were nearly healed and just looked like faded scars. It made me look down at my own arm where he had sunk his nails into me. They were exactly the same, nearly completely healed.

 “Hi I believe your name is Stormy? I'm Chris,” he said unlocking the cell and stepping in.

I noticed he had on gloves, so that he could open and close my cell door. Something else I had failed to notice before.