𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔢𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

June, 505 AD

News of a very strange animal attack in the lower town shook Camelot the very next morning at an early hour. Six people had been found dead with deep, monster-like scratches all over their bodies that made their internal organs visible. I had to hide my face in Arthur's chest to shield my eyes from the sight and pray that Uther didn't think anything of it. It was as if the Beast of Gévaudan had paid us a visit. And the weirdest thing was that whatever was responsible hadn't left any clues behind: no tracks, fur, feathers, blood... Arthur, Uther, Gaius and I were beyond confused. 

I shouldn't have been at the scene in the first place – and the Prince made that very clear – but I'd joined the physician as his temporary assistant, given that Merlin was MIA and he needed the help, given his age and huge load of work. 

"Have your men been able to track the creature?" the King asked his son. I chanced turning my head to look at the man, noticing a mortified expression on his face. Great, it's not just me. "That is the strange thing. Because the ground is soft, obviously a bear or wolf would leave some mark. But there are no tracks," the Prince explained with a pensive look. 

"I've seen stranger things," I shrugged, trying to grin at the double meaning that my words had in reference to the Netflix TV show, but it came out as a grimace. 

"Then what are these?" Gaius asked as the three ignored my comment, and pointed towards a footprint on the ground. "That's from a human," I informed him, tilting my head in confusion as I didn't understand what he was getting at. "Yes, but they are leading away from the bodies," the physician noted. I raised my eyes in realisation. "Did someone escape the attack?" Gaius asked the royals. "No one has come forward," Arthur replied.

"Could the person who made these be responsible?" Uther wondered as he crouched down to analyse the prints. "Very unlikely, unless it was Wolverine. Look at the claw marks," I told him  and glanced back at the bodies. Huge mistake as I felt nauseated once more. Arthur adjusted his hold on me to shield me from the sight again. 

"She is right. A person could not have done this," Gaius agreed. "And if this was done by neither a man nor beast, there is only one other explanation. It must be the work of a magical creature," the King concluded, his eyes filling with fury. "Yeah, like a shape-shifter," I noted, and once again, the physician agreed with me.