4 | Try Not To Dream About Me

Hikari was leaving work when she first encountered him. Well, more accurately she fell down the stairs trying to leave work, then met him. 

It was dark out and Hikari could see the night peeking through the large rectangular windows of the main lobby, indicating that it was far past closing time. Hikari could already tell her ankle was sprained, and for a second she just sat at the bottom of the stairs, and took everything in. In the end, falling down the stairs was her last straw of stress and anxiety, and she found herself crying for the first time in several months.

It was like everything came crashing down at once. one event lead to another, and the tears just wouldn't stop. It went to falling down the stairs, to multiple setting changes in the last few months, stressing about moving in, worrying about Tohru, and then it came back to Kyoko and then-

"Why are you crying?" Hikari snapped her head up, and was met with a gentle hand caressing her cheek. Not to mention a slightly prominent german accent, Hikari guessed. 

The hand belonged to a boy with the warmest pair of brown eyes she had ever seen, that would always be what she first noticed about him. He was couching down, eye level with Hikari's pathetic state on the floor. His hair was a mess of blonde curls, and Hikari guessed that despite his pretty feminine demeanor, he was only a year or 2 younger than her. In general, Hikari thought he was beautiful.

"Well?" The boy asked again, and only then she realized she had been staring at him instead of answering his question. His hand never moved from her face, and his thumb brushed away her tears.

"Oh, well, I-" She paused, not exactly sure why she was crying herself. "I'm just overwhelmed right now... I think?" Hikari was confused on why he cared in the first place.

"I see," Hikari was startled when both of his hands grabbed her own, only to help her stand. "I'm sure you must have a gorgeous name to match your face, so what would it be?" Was he trying to distract her?

"H-Hikari... But wh-" Before she could ask who he was, he jumped up and started to collect her things which tumbled down the stairs when Hikari did. When his hands left hers, she had to balance on the stair railing. 

Hikari silently watched as he collected her things, before he got to her backpack at the top of the stairs, where she first fell. The backpack was small, but big enough to hold her things. It was in the shape of a bunny, and it was something Tohru had given Hikari for her 11th birthday. 

"You like rabbits?" He asked as he picked it up, an amused sort of smile on his face.

"Um, yeah. I guess so..." In all reality, she knew so. 

"So do I," The boy made his way down the stairs. "See, we match!" He turned around and Hikari caught a glimpse of his rabbit backpack, albeit a different design. 

Hikari found his energy to be amusing, and somewhat adorable. She found herself laughing at everything in this situation she so happened to find herself in. Falling down the stairs, unable to walk, engaging with this boy, somehow he made it all amusing to her, when she would otherwise still be crying about it. 

"Come on, I'll walk you home!" He offered as he made his way down the stairs and grabbed Hikari's hand.     

When she made an effort to protest, it was immediately shut down by his smile. The two of them walked hand in hand, Hikari guiding him to the large stairway leading to Shigure's house. He was the one to make most of the conversation,so the pair talked about numerous things. They talked about animals, food, hobbies, and even their favorite day of the week. 

At one point, Hikari thought it strange that he knew exactly which turn he had to take to get to the bottom of the large staircase, but she decided not to question it with how much he was already helping her. 

"This is it, uh, thank you so much..." Hikari thanked him, she had started to feel like a burden, especially when she had depended on him for balance.

Speaking of balance, she wasn't sure how she would make it up those stairs. 

"Are you sure you don't need help getting up?" He asked, a sinceer sort of sadness in his voice present. As if he was sad that this interaction would soon be over. 

Hikari was about to deny, already feeling bad he was doing so much for her. In truth, she had enjoyed this experience with him, and was a little bummed to see it end.  

"Well, if you wouldn't mind helping me further... I suppose I could use your help." Hikari smiled slyly. 

The boy lit up at her words, somehow jumping at the chance to spend more time with her of all people. Hikari thought he was especially strange for that. 

He grabbed her hand and the two slowly making their way up the stairs. 

"What's your last name, Kari?" Hikari was surprised that he had already made a nickname for her. Somehow she even managed to laugh at it. 

"It's Hayami. You know you still haven't told me your name." The boy intertwined their fingers.

"I like being the mystery boy," The pair chuckled. "But don't fret. I almost guarantee that we will meet again, soon." 

"How do you know?" Hikari found herself suddenly asking.

The pair were almost at the top of the stairs by now.

"I just know, trust me," He smiled, but still sensed the doubt across Hikari's face. "Here, take this so you know I'll come back for it."

He shrugged off his bunny backpack and handed it to her. However, the boy wasn't expect her to hand her bag to him, sort of like an exchange.

"So now I definitely need you to come back." Hikari smiled.

The two were at the top of the stairs, one hand each still intertwined.   

The boys face was red as he held her backpack, and he looked up into her eyes. They were a pretty blue, and he was sad that he couldn't always be eye level with them, seeing as though he was about maybe two inches shorter than her. 

In a moment of bravery, the boy slung her backpack over his shoulders and kissed her on the cheek. Hikari was frozen in a warm feeling of shock. 

"Farwell Hikari! Try not to dream about me." He mumbled the last part, although still audible and was then on his way down the stairs.

He was out of her life almost as soon as he came in. 

Hikari clutched the straps of his backpack.

Well, maybe not. 

----- 

ayo

its da boi