5

Makoto ran out of the bathroom, but it was too late. Rin was nowhere to be seen. The door just closed, so Makoto ran over to it and ran into the hall. But Rin and his captors were gone and there were no signs as to where they had gone. Makoto heard his cellphone ringing from inside the room. He rushed back inside, the caller ID on the phone said it was Rin calling. He knew it couldn't actually be Rin, but he seriously hoped that it was. He answered the phone but didn't say anything.

"Is this Tachibana?" A smooth voice from the other end of the line spoke. "We haven't met but I think we have a lot to talk about." The voice spoke in English, Makoto had learned it well from his line of work but there was a part of their accent that didn't sit right with him.

Makoto finally spoke, "What do you want?"

"Ah, right to business? No pleasantries?" The person on the phone chuckled.

"Why did you take him?" Makoto did not find any of this amusing.

"Your mistress? I'm not actually sure the word quite fits in this case." The person chuckled again, "My men and I were quite surprised to find him there; my consultant said that Rin was a female name. But then again, that's what they said about yours."

"If you hurt him--"

"I don't intend to." The reply was immediate. "He's merely some incentive for you."

"What do you want?" Makoto asked through gritted teeth.

"We know that the Gallaghers hired you to kill Maroni." The person paused, "And we want you to kill Ryan Gallagher. You have three days."

"And if I don't?"

"Well he's not quite the prize we were hoping for but he's such a pretty boy, everyone will want to love him." The person said, dead serious.

"If you sell him, I no longer have incentive." Makoto tried to stay calm, he didn't want them to know frantic he was.

"Maybe not," the person paused, Makoto could hear a smile in their voice as they said, "But that won't matter to us nearly as much as it will to you."

Makoto gulped. He knew they were right. The person explained, "In three days we will call you again on this line. We'll set up a time and place to meet." The person on the phone chuckled, "You've gone soft Tachibana."

The line went dead. They were right. He had gone soft. He used to be able to leave his feelings out of things, but Rin had changed everything. He couldn't let Rin go, he needed to get him back. Makoto packed up everything that they had brought, he needed to leave now. He had a safe house not too far from Paris but it wouldn't be easy getting there.