Chapter One

AN: HEY GUYS! SO THIS IS MY FIRST CHAPTER. IT'S SHORT BUT IT GIVES A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF WHAT IS TO COME. IT'S PRETTY MUCH JUST ABOUT JARED, THE MAIN CHARACTER. ENJOY!

___

Jared's POV

Hi, I'm Jared Matthews.

Never in my life did I think I would ever be one of those, mushy, corny, lovey-dovey kind of people, but I am. I guess it's because I always only dreamt of falling in love, I never really knew the feeling until now.

It all started a year ago. I had just moved into the city. Anyway, it was august of 2012. I had just arrived on campus; freshman year. In high school, college seemed to be so far away, but it the moment was finally here.

I waived back to mom and dad as they drove off, not turning away until the old Chrysler faded away into the distance. I was finally alone. I loved my parents, and I knew they loved me, but the thought of finally being on my own was...liberating! I could finally be myself. Live life how I wanted, something I couldn't ever do back home. You see, I come from a very small town out in East Texas. A town with a population of less than 8,000; where there were only 80 kids in my graduating class. The town was big enough for a McDonald's and a Wal-Mart, yet, it was too small for a Chick-fil-A or Whataburger, which really sucked, but we'll get to that later. I knew everyone in town, and everyone in town knew me. The point is I had lived there all my life. It was exciting to finally be somewhere where I could express myself with no regrets.

Although, I had already come out to my parents earlier that summer, I could never really embrace being out of the closet. My parents had difficulty coping with my "situation" as they call it. It took them all summer to get used to the fact that their son was indeed, gay. It's not that they had a big problem with it, or that they were homophobes, it's just that it was something completely new to them. They had never experienced anything like this. They were unfamiliar to the whole gay thing. And so was I, I guess. Being gay is still pretty new to me.

I had based all my knowledge of homosexuality on what I saw on TV or what I read on the internet. At first, I didn't think I was gay, I guess it was because I thought that all gay people were the same. I thought that they were all the stereotypical gay guys, who acted all feminine and talked like girls, the ones who wore bright clothing, hated sports and would rather spend the day reading Cosmopolitan and watching Sex and the City. I wasn't that type of guy. I didn't read magazines, I didn't act feminine, I loved football and four-wheeling in the mud and hunting and doing things a normal guy would do. I just didn't consider myself gay per say. I just knew I was attracted to boys and that was it.

And that's a whole other story. It started around 6th grade. I kind of had a crush on Hunter, my best friend at the time. I thought he was really good looking and fun to be with, and all-around good guy. But in 7th grade, when puberty came a knockin', my feelings started getting stronger and stronger. I was now not only attracted to his personality, but to his body as well. I mean he was cute, but now I started getting weird feelings and strange thoughts. I wanted now to touch him, and kiss him. I brushed away the thoughts and just figured every boy my age was going through this "phase." Turns out it wasn't a phase, and I was the only one having those thoughts. I kept having those feelings all through high school. And I never told anyone. Well, except my parents just recently, and of course Brooke, my very best friend from High School. She was the only one who knew I was gay. We would talk about boys together, laughing and giggling, telling each other who we were crushing on. She would tell me who she thought was hot, and I would tell her who I thought had the nicest bodies on the football team. So on and so forth. Other than that, I was pretty good at keeping my homosexual tendencies private.

Anyway, it wasn't until after graduation, and after Brooke had moved out to Louisiana for college, that I finally came out to my parents. And they had me keep it private. They didn't want anyone to know. Mostly because they were watching out for me, not knowing what reaction the town would give me. I appreciated that. Throughout the summer they tried to forget the fact that I had come out. They really didn't want to deal with the awkwardness. And that was okay. They just wanted to enjoy the last summer they had until I moved away, which is what I should be talking about.

Anyway, as I was saying, the old Chrysler faded away into the distance. I was finally alone. I turned to the new building that I would now call home. It was one of the newest and most spacious dorms on campus. I walked into the main lobby where they had tables set up with the papers that had our room assignments on them. I knew I got into the dorm, but I was yet to know what floor I'd be on, or better yet, who I would be rooming with.

I walk over to the table marked "M-N."

"Jared M. Matthews," I said.

"Matthews...hmm...here it is! Alrighty! Second floor, room 234. Boys are even-numbered floors, girls on odd. No opposite-sex visits after 10," said the girl behind the table. She was really perky. A little too perky for my taste. She had a nametag stuck to her blouse that read "Becky." Typical. I grab the paper from her hand and make my way through the busy lobby. I had tried getting here early, to avoid the crowds. That was a waste. I finally reach the main stairway without tripping or bumping into anyone. I pick up the suitcases and walk up the stairs. "234...234...234," I repeated, "aha!"

I reach for the doorknob and open the door.

___

AN: HELLOOOO. SO WHAT DID YOU THINK? I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE SHORT. AT LEAST YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT JARED.

THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE UPLOADED AS SOON AS I GET 10 READS, 5 VOTES, AND 5 COMMENTS. PLEASE READ, VOTE, COMMENT, AND RECOMMEND, I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH! THANK Y'ALL!