Chapter 5

Madison Ledger

Mum was signing me in when I saw Doctor Hood exit one of the rooms in the ER. I was never a big hospital fan, and considering everything, this whole environment is just very anxiety inducing for me.

Thankfully though, it seems like Doctor Hood saw me. He walked towards me with a concerned look on his face, "What's going on?"

"I have a fever and I feel like shit to be honest."

He didn't say anything, just went to speak to the nurse at the front desk. My mother told him something, but they were too far away for me to hear what, and then he just gave her a smile and squeezed her arm before they both headed back towards me.

"Let's head somewhere a little more private so I can have a look at you."

We followed him to one of the exam rooms and I sat on the bed, watching him take his white lab coat off, leaving him in his navy blue scrubs. He was ripped, making my eyes dart to my mother to catch her reaction.

She stared at him with her arms crossed over her chest and her bottom lip curled in between her teeth. If she says she doesn't like him again, I'm definitely bringing this up.

"I'm just gonna get your vitals," he smiled, "Nothing too complicated."

After checking my heartbeat, blood pressure, and all the basic stuff, he made me lay flat on the bed. His gloved hands peeled the dressing off my incision and already, it was hurting like hell. Mum noticed my pain, immediately reaching out to hold my hand.

"It's painful?"

"Yeah, really fuckin painful," I groaned.

He observed the wound for a little, pressing on certain spots around it, "It's definitely infected alright," he winced, "I'm gonna have to clean this and use an antibiotic on it."

He peeled his gloves off, preparing stuff on a metal tray, "Madison, it's up to you whether you want local anaesthesia or not. You can do it without, it'll hurt like a bitch but it's possible."

In all honesty, I was tired of being in pain and as long as it wasn't opioids or painkillers, I'm not as wary of taking medication.

"I want it."

My mum looked shocked, but she tried to hide it with a smile and Calum just nodded, bringing out a syringe and filling it up with medicine.

Getting the wound clean was not fun at all, even though he gave me anesthesia, it was still really uncomfortable.

Once he was finished, I let go of my mum's hand and she sighed in relief as well.

"Was I really holding it that tight?"

"You had a death grip," she laughed.

Doctor Hood left the room and returned with a prescription and my discharge papers, "Madison, I know you don't like medicine but you have to swear to take these meds."

I didn't say anything, mostly because I didn't want to make a promise I was sure I could keep.

"Madison, if you don't take them the infection will get worse and you'll most likely need another surgery."

My mum ran her fingers through my hair, "You gotta take them, baby," she whispered.

I started crying for some reason, causing my mother to guide my head into the crook of her neck and continued to rub my scalp gently.

Doctor Hood sat beside us on the exam bed and rested a gentle hand on my shoulder, "I know this must be all really overwhelming for you, but darling, I promise you I would never give you something that will hurt you. Ever."