Chapter 11

Madison Ledger

Since I had no other option, I drove to the store mum works at, getting there right when she was closing the shutter.

She came up to the car window, a smile on her face, "Hey baby."

"Hi ma," I told her. I leaned as close to her as possible and she stuck her head in, kissing the side of my head. "Let's go get ice cream."

I nodded, "Follow me with your car?"

"You got it," she winked.

There was definitely cons that came with having a young mum but one of the best things about it, and what I'm most grateful for, is that apart from having a mother I also have a built in best friend.

It was Sunday which is a day where mum and I always try to do something fun together. We missed last week because she was working a double shift, and the week before too because I was still recovering from my surgery.

Our favourite ice cream place was a 30 minute drive from town, close to the beach. In summer, we'd stop for a swim but today we just sat on the rocks, ice cream in hand.

"I talked to Calum last night," I told her. She turned to look at me, her facial expression urging me to continue. "He explained the testing process to me. It's a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. I need a psych evaluation and everything."

"You don't have to do it, Madison."

I shook my head, scooping ice cream into my mouth, "I don't want his blood on my hands."

"It wouldn't be, even if you chose not to do it."

I shrugged my shoulders, "There's no harm in getting tested I guess."

She leaned her head on my shoulder, sighing loudly, "Does it make me a shitty mother if I'm hoping you aren't a match?"

I laughed sadly, "Does it make me a shitty daughter if I'm hoping the exact same thing?"

My mum kissed my cheek, "You're an incredible person Maddy."

It sure as hell didn't feel like it.

Calum Hood

I just finished helping out in the ER, finally getting back to my office. Whilst I was filling out some paperwork, I got a phone call, smiling when I saw Grace's name on the screen.

"Hi darling," I said, the phone pressed between my ear and my shoulder whilst I continued to write out these files. I procrastinated them long enough.

"Maddy wants to get tested to see if she's a match. Do I book it with you or how the fuck does this work?"

She sounded on edge, but I didn't blame her. The idea of Madison having major surgery because of some shitbag guy put me on edge too.

"Depends where her dad is getting the surgery, honey. You need to get in contact with him first."

She groaned, "She doesn't want to tell him, and I don't want to speak to him."

I wouldn't want to either but I knew she had to somehow get in contact with his doctor. I explained everything to Grace, telling her that once she found out who the surgeon is, she can tell me and I'll see what I can do.

"Calum, the only way I'm letting her do this is if you're the one performing the surgery."

That wasn't allowed. But Grace and I weren't married, and legally, Madison isn't mine so I could probably swing it with a bit of ass kissing to the chief.

"I'll talk to her dad and get back to you."

"Even if he isn't a patient at my hospital, I could still probably get her tests done here and then send everything over," I told her, hoping to calm her nerves a little bit.

"I want to talk to him as little as possible, and so does Madison."

This must be such an awkward situation for her and I'm sure it brought up past issues and traumas. If I could make it easier, I would do everything in my power to do so. "Just get me his doctor's information and I'll take control from there. Okay, baby?"

"Okay. Bye, Cal."

"Bye honey, take care."

Grace Ledger

Never, not even when we were together, did David answer the phone this quickly.

"Hello," he said. I could hear the smugness in his voice. All I wanted was to tell him to fuck off, but this was Madison's decision and I had to respect it.

"Madison wants to get tested."

"I knew she'd do it. She's such a sweetheart, truly I don't know where she gets it from," he sighed.

"First of all, hut up, David. And secondly, she's just getting tested, this doesn't mean yes."

"Come on, Grace. Both of us know that we aren't the most philanthropic of people, that gene must skip a generation or something," he chuckled.

"Seriously, David. Shut the hell up. Just give me your surgeon's information so I can hang up please." I said, completely fed up with him already.

"Fine. Doctor Luke Hemmings. Works at Trinity Medical Hospital." he replied, his voice monotone now that he wasn't tormenting me.

That was Calum's hospital thankfully which meant that he could probably get himself on the case.

"That's all I need for right now."

"Come on, Gracie. I'm all alone in a hospital bed, might as well chat a bit now that I've got you on the phone."

I couldn't bite my tongue any longer. Just because Madison might be giving him a kidney doesn't mean I need to be cordial behind closed doors. "You're right David, I don't know where Madison gets it from because if it were me, I would let you die. So shut the fuck up and thank whatever you believe in that your daughter is nothing like her mother."

I hung up the phone, and just in time too because I heard the front door shut, Madison returning from school.

"Hi mum," she smiled, "Everything okay?"

I nodded, "Just got your dad's doctor's details so we can figure out how to get you tested."

"He knows?" she said, a little disappointed. "Yeah baby, I'm sorry. There was no way around it. But we don't have to talk to him at all, its gonna be mostly in Calum's hands from now on."

She just nodded, sitting on the couch.

"Speaking of," I told her, "We have to go meet Calum at four. I made you lunch already so eat up and then get ready."

Maddy nodded, heading into the kitchen after kissing my cheek. I got in the shower, getting ready for the appointment with Cal.

There was another conversation I was dreading. The one I inevitably had to have with my parents. They come back in two days, so that was a problem for later.

"You ready, Madison?" I yelled.

"Coming!"

Soon she jogged down the stairs. Her shoulder length hair twisted up in a clip and dressed in one of my crop tops and a pair of sweats.

"Shirt stealer," I teased. "You never wear it anyways," she retaliated, "Can I drive? I need practice."

I nodded, tossing her the car keys.

"Off we go," she smiled.