Its okay to care

Kara lingered near Hayleys door, she hesitated for a moment before knocking. The soft come in had her hand on the door handle. She twisted the knob entering the room.

Hayley sat cross legged on the bed reading through a journal. A very familiar journal.

"I see you've found Elijah's endless amounts of journals." She spoke looking down at the girl.

Hayley offered a nod, "Yeah.. you don't mind do you?"

Kara shrugged, she shut the door behind her "I already know what's written in there." Hayleys eyes met hers "He's written about the change he's seen in our siblings." She breathed a sigh "Elijah always believed us to be more than the monsters our mother made us to be." A wry smirk twitched at her lips "I on the other hand, I've come to accept who I am, perhaps I've accepted it from the very moment she cursed us with immortality.."

Hayley shut the journal "Why do you accept being a monster, Why would you even like being one."

Kara stood beside the window "Hayley when you've lived over a thousand years very few things become precious.After losing people I loved without a shadow of a doubt, I believed the rest of my siblings could give me a  reason to live. However, over time I tossed that notion out the window. My siblings are fractured, our bond as siblings has weathered over time or even maybe before we became vampires or maybe it was fractured by me.."

Hayley stood up to her feet, she leaned against the wall,right opposite the hybrid "Why do you think that, I've seen how worried and concerned Rebekah and Klaus were about you ?" She asked confusedly.

Kara stared at the girl for short while, she tucked an errant strand of her hair behind Hayleys ear "I've done horrible things in my life— I've killed countless people— I've watched villages burn.. but perhaps my very second kill was the reason for our fractured bond.

I  killed my own mother.. I felt nothing, no remorse, no joy, no guilt. I felt absolutely nothing when I pushed my hand through her chest. In her dying moments I expected her to plead or beg for mercy but her surprise was overtaken by agony. She did not ask why.. she did not beg for mercy no.. she stared me right in the eye till the very end." The aghast expression on the woman's face brought a slew of unidentifiable emotions, emotions she forced away.

Hayley stepped back "Why are you telling me this?"

Kara asked her own question instead "When you had that wolfsbane.. why didn't you drink it? Why didn't you release yourself from this.. why wouldn't you run away ?"

Hayley hand fell to her belly as they did these days "Our child" she said emphasizing the word 'our' "never asked to be born, we had gotten together that night and in that night we made a life. I've never believed I would become a mother never the less a carry a Mikaelson child.. but I don't.. I can't regret it"

Kara lowered her eyes "Do you wish .. if you could would you wish someone else to be the other parent?" The question was asked a surprising amount of vulnerability.

Hayley noticed the fragility, she tilted Kara's chin up "You're not the monster you make yourself out to be, I don't think you're the monster you believe you are Kara.."

Kara stared at the mother to be with a wry smile tugging at her lips  "And what makes you believe it to be so little wolf?"

Hayley blushed as the pet name rolled off the vampires tongue "I don't think you meant what you said to Sophie that evening and maybe your brother is right"

Kara furrowed her brows "which one? Because if you're referring to Niklaus then I'm afraid he's always been jealous that I'm the better hybrid?" She joked lightly.