The Creeping Fear

The news of Azami, Erina Nakiri's father, taking over Totsuki spread like wildfire, causing chaos across the campus. But with Hikari, she could never stop shaking at just the mention of his name. She didn't know why, but something about him was driving her nerves up the walls, and throwing her senses out of whack.

It terrified her to the bone.

"Isshiki!" Yuki shouted, holding up a copy of the school's newspaper with Azami's face and name on the front cover, "Is it true that we have a new school director?"

"They say it was a majority vote from the Council of Ten." Ryoko added.

"That's right, but I'm just as surprised as you." Isshiki said, "I mean, I can't believe that the Ten had this scheme going and that someone would actually show up to be the new director."

"Don't you think it's messed up that they can just do something like this?"

"Not really. In terms of the process it was by the book. The proposal was made and the votes were cast according to procedure."

"You know, come to think of it, I had heard that the position of director of Totsuki Academy was always passed down through the Nakiri family from generation to generation." Ryoko said.

"Well, I think that's just plain stupid." Hikari voiced her opinion, "But it looks like we have to live with this for a little while. We're just students after all. It doesn't really have anything to do with us."

"And yet..." Shun said.

"Well, you got something on your mind?" Zenji asked.

"This talk about aligning with the new director, wouldn't it have reached you before it happened, Isshiki?"

Hikari and Soma stared at the newspaper, remembering what had happened just the other night. How scared and shaky Erina was at the sight of her father.

🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

Eventually, a new ceremony began in order to welcome the new director to the school. Reporters and famous critics came to the ceremony ready to take in the brand new director of the most famous culinary school in Japan. 

Azami stood at the podium, smiling and looking out at the crowd that had come to see him. But as he smiled at the crowd, his thoughts drifted to the girl he had met just the other night. A girl he thought he would never see again. His little perfect protege.

"Welcome, colleagues and friends." He said in a very professional manner, "I would like to thank you for gathering here today. By the will of the Totsuki Council of Ten, I, Azami Nakiri, will now be director and made to serve the Academy. The contributions made to this school by the prior director, Master Senzaemon, are many and varied. And I as his successor, I feel a great sense of pressure to fulfill these obligations as well as he did. However, I know that this role is pivotal in driving forward Japan's culinary culture. I am humbled by this, and I intend to push Totsuki to even greater heights."

The people in the crowd cheered and clapped, ready to see a brand new light shine over Totsuki's newest achievements to come. As Azami stepped off the stage, one of his personal servants stepped closer to him.

"Sir, the car is ready and waiting for you." The man said.

"My apologies, but please, have them wait a bit longer." Azami said, "I'd like to go for a little walk. It's only proper that Totsuki's turn his gaze towards the future. For this reason, I would like to take a long hard look at the school as it stands. Don't you see? It's only youth that allows one to oppose the prior generation. Physical strength can only make for previous experience."