Chapter 47

'We're here,' Juan suddenly announced as the car slowed to a stop.

She looked back out the window at the white landscape. Snow was falling heavily on the front lawn and the house, covering everything with a thick, white blanket. Almost reluctantly, she stepped out of the vehicle, and into the cold, wrapping her arms around herself. It did little to protect against the wind.

As they walked up the path to the house, she noted the wreath hanging on the front door, with red ribbons, and a pair of golden bells attached to it. A warm golden glow greeted them as the door swung open, making everything seem like a scene from a fairy tale. Even the guard at the door had on a cheery smile, and a red Christmas-esque scarf wound around his neck.

Just that the situation was anything but.

She took her time to look around as Juan jabbered away in Spanish with the guard. The interior was bleak, with peeling wallpaper, and stains marking the floor and walls. A single light bulb hung just inside the entrance, but the light it offered was of a watery yellow, illuminating only the patch of floor it shone on. To her left, a worn wooden table sat in the middle of what seemed to be the living room, with mismatched chairs surrounding it, and a heater standing by it. It didn't offer much warmth though, she could still feel the cold from outside.

Juan had noticed her inspection, and merely gave her a smirk.

'Want to see my room too? I promise it's a thousand times better.'

She cringed at his words, and immediately snapped out a 'no'.

'If you say so,' he muttered with a shrug of his shoulders. 'Sabine!'

There was a rush of heavy footsteps, then an auburn-haired girl appeared at the top of the stairs.

'Yes?' Her face was flushed.

She clattered down the wooden staircase two-by-two, her boots making loud clomp clomps as she did so. Hana was astonished at her outfit, or the lack of it rather. She was dressed in a black skin-tight dress, revealing a pair of long, slim legs, and showing off her slight figure. Wasn't she cold? Sabine stopped just in front of them, and took a moment to catch her breath.

'Sabine, this is Hana,' Juan said. 'She's here as my guest.'

There was a smudge of lipstick on her lower lip. She gave Hana a once over before a bright smile lit her face.

'Hello,' she said breathily.

'Hi.'

'She's going to share the room with you. Show her the place, tell her the rules. Just don't let her wander around,' Juan instructed.

'Ah, and one more thing.' He held a hand out. 'Your phone?'

Hana stilled. Reluctantly, she dug into her bag and produced her handphone which she placed in his hand. When her last lifeline had disappeared into Juan's pocket, Sabine took her by the wrist and pulled her along up the stairs. Hana looked back at Juan, astonishment fixed on her features, but he was already going into one of the rooms.

What exactly is happening? Wasn't she a prisoner? There didn't seem to be many guards, or Juan's people either. Were they all somewhere else, fighting then?

Somehow, she couldn't get the nagging feeling out of her mind. She'd half expected to be locked up, or chained somewhere, deprived of food, and beaten to death, but it seemed to be the complete opposite.

~

The upper level was completely silent as she entered. The conditions were the same, peeling walls, and scum encrusted windows. The house must have been very old.