Chapter 23

She had just parted with Haruki outside the mall, shifting the bags she held from one hand to the other, when she noticed a familiar figure by the curb. His back was to her and his dark hair was blown about by the wind. Before him was a polished black sedan, and surrounding him were men in black suits.

He was chatting on the phone in a familiar language. Then, his call ended and he turned to speak to one of the men.

Oh, no.

Her feet took her a few steps back. She spun about and walked in the opposite direction, going as fast as she could manage in her high-heeled boots.

Of all places!

Her heart thumped noisily as her lips pursed. Her shoes made loud clack-clacks on the pavement as if highlighting her escape.

Of all places for Juan Gonzales to be at!

'Hana?' a voice called out.

Oh, no.

She increased her speed. She was sure her escape would be more apparent by now. Couldn't he leave off? She didn't want to see him.

'Hey!'

A hand grabbed at her shoulder, jerking her to a stop.

'Hana?'

She spun about and her brows shot up in mock surprise.

'Oh, hi!' she exclaimed a little too brightly.

'Remember me?' he asked, his lips spreading into a wide grin.

'Yes, yes,' she gushed as pin pricks rose from where his hand had been on her shoulder.

He gestured to the bags she held.

'Look at all that! Let me help you,' he offered.

'Oh, no, it's alright,' she said, holding the bags away, but he had grabbed onto her wrist and was now forcefully separating her bags from her.

You can't be serious! she thought, her eyes wide at her bags now in his hand.

'Let me drive you home!' he went on, seemingly oblivious to her discomfort.

Hana stared as he marched to his car, her bags getting further from her.

Home! No way!

'It's alright,' she hurriedly said with a weak laugh, trying but failing to grab her bags from him. 'I'm meeting Leon.'

'I'm meeting him at La Reve,' she lied. 'We're having dinner there.'

'La Reve! Why didn't you say so?' he said with a sigh. Then he jerked his chin at the car. One of the black-suited men had opened the door, allowing her a view into its comfortable interior. 'Go on, then. I'm going in that direction.'

How could anyone be so impudent? Her energy drained as she estimated the number of men with him. Her knife would be insufficient to take them all out if need be.

'It's alright,' Hana said, this time her tone more firm. 'I don't want to trouble you.'

With a laugh and a shake of his head, he turned to set her bags in the car.

Damn it.

'Right,' she muttered, her displeasure now clear in her features. 'Thanks.'

He shot her a lopsided smile before climbing in after her.

'My pleasure.'

~

'How's your husband? Very busy?'