Chapter 62

A/N: Above, you have the super old first version cover of The Prince of Thieves. Enjoy!

~

Leon and Hana suddenly found themselves back in the dangerous position of being under the spotlight. Tension had increased tenfold and if all eyes weren't on them before, they had the attention of every single gangster in the room now. Juan had turned back to whisper to Asier, who immediately left the room after.

"Your people, Federov?" the Police Commissioner asked.

Leon made a face.

"Not sure. I've been locked up, remember?"

He raised a fist and was about to strike him when Hana spoke up.

"It was me. I called them."

His gaze turned.

"You?" he sneered. He stopped short to let out a scoff before he made a gesture to his men. "Cut the ropes and bring them out!"

"Where should we bring them, sir?", a guard asked.

The commissioner nodded at Ichiro Yazumi.

"Time for you to take charge, my friend." He gave the man a pat on the back. "I can't be seen outside."

"And as for you, kid." He looked Leon up and down and laughed. "Adieu."

Hana looked on in dismay as he motioned to some men, then turned to leave. Was this it? Her uncle was going to be in charge after this man left? Was she going to die at her uncle's hand then?

To her mild surprise, he pushed aside a folding screen at the corner of the room to reveal a cupboard. Was this man and about ten of his followers about to enter that little cupboard?

"Did you really think this is how the day would end when you put on your socks today?" Leon called out as the man was about to stick a leg through the secret door.

He turned his head.

"Am I wrong?"

"The day hasn't ended."

He dismissed Leon with a disinterested wave of his hand and proceeded to take his leave. His men trooped in after him, one by one, as Hana watched on in amazement. If it wasn't for the gravity of their situation though, she would have ran after them to try out the door.

"It actually leads to the bathroom", a voice piped up beside her. It was Juan, and that was the first she'd heard him speak ever since she entered.

"The bathroom..." she echoed cluelessly. Why would they...

"Which has a secret staircase to the back of the house. He's scared of being caught, so he leaves the dirty work to us." She noticed the disgust in his tone. So he didn't like that man either, did he?

"You're right", he continued in a softer tone. He took over the guard on her right with his fingers to her arm as her uncle busied himself with ordering the guards about. "I don't like him much. He's in it only for the money."

She slightly tilted her head to his and lowered her voice to a mere whisper.

"And my uncle?"

"For revenge."

A shiver coursed through her spine. Of course. He'd been labeled a traitor, kicked out of the family, and sent to America without an inheritance. Of course he'd want revenge.

But he'd brought it on himself anyway.

"And you?" Her eyes boldly met his.

"Me?" His green eyes flickered to her dark ones for a moment and she could see the sadness in them. "I don't matter."