Chapter 44

Her husband was a strong man. And sometimes she wished she could have at least a quarter of his strength. She kept her eyes shut, her breathing even as he pressed his mouth against her brow that morning.

I've got something to tell you, she wished she had the courage to say.

In her heart of hearts, a baby wasn't something she wanted now. How unfair she was, she thought.

Hadn't they always used protection? Then her brow furrowed. She could recall at least one time when they hadn't.

Her husband was good with children. She trusted and knew he would take good care of their child. But as for herself, she knew she wasn't prepared.

What to do?

Maybe Haruki would know. Or okaa-san. 

She let out a long sigh when the front door shut. She needed more time to process the new life in her belly.

~

Leon lifted the rifle from its case, then thoroughly checked its various components. The magazine fitted in with a satisfying click and he flicked the safety switch off. The rain had been going on for a while now, not that it mattered much. Yet, he never liked fighting in the rain. It made one so wet, and muddy, and sticky. His gaze went down to the red scarf around his neck. It had been something she had made for him, an early Christmas present, though he felt like he didn't exactly deserve it. He hadn't yet fulfilled his promise, and her gift only made the guilt more intense.

I'll finish him off today, no matter what. And hopefully keep this clean. She wouldn't want to see the scarf dirty.

Large droplets of rain pitter-pattered against the windows, occasionally drowning out the conversation within the car, not that there was much talking to begin with. He could almost taste the anxiety in the air as the rest of his men prepared their own weapons.

They were heading to Juan's house now, the last place that they had thought to check. At first, he hadn't been quite sure about checking out the house, for who would be hiding out at such an obvious location? But after numerous failed attempts on smoking him and Yazumi Ichiro out, they had few options left. Besides, it was unlikely that Juan would return to the partially destroyed buildings at the construction site, let alone his night club that had been burnt to a crisp.

Leon stole a glance at his watch. 1.15pm. If he found the bastard today, it meant he could go home early. If not, he would have to spend another day, hunting up and down the possible places Juan Gonzales could be at. Already, he was starting to think of this game as a wild goose chase. He was sick and tired of it. Gonzales must have been bored, what with the lack of attention on his side.

'Boss...'

He turned his head.

'What is it?'

'Don't you think that the streets are too quiet?'

His forehead creased as he peered out the windows.

'It's wet and cold, you idiot, why would anyone be out?' Mickey filled in brusquely. 'Do you go on walks in this weather?'

'No, I mean,' the man continued. 'There's really no one out here. Even for the last ten minutes or so!'

Leon looked out at window at the dismal grey streets. Rows and rows of identical grey houses stared back at him, disturbed only by the occasional street sign or shop front. He was right, the walkways were devoid of any life. Even the shops they passed by seemed empty. He shook his head. It was just the weather wasn't it? No one in their right mind would step out for a walk in such a heavy rain. A shiver coursed through his spine at the thought.