~ Prologue ~

Darkness.

That's the first thing I remember.

It was dark, and it was wet.

Liquid rushed around me in a strong current.

I gasped for air as I finally broke the surface of the water.

And I was scared.

But then, then I saw the moon. It was so big and so bright. It seemed to chase the darkness away. And when I did, I wasn't scared anymore.

Why I was in that river, and what I was meant to do, that I've never known. Part of me wonders if I ever will.

As I sat up, surprisingly and magically dry, I checked my surroundings. I was in the middle of a river. I don't know how, I don't know why and I didn't know where I was.

But I knew it had something to do with the moon.

As I stood on unsteady legs, I realised I no longer stood in the water. I gasped, taking a quick step onto a rock.

I thought to myself, was I seriously just standing on top of a liquid?

Impossible.

I reached out a toe to touch the surface of the stream... and my foot went right through. The movement shifted my weight causing me to lose my balance and fall in.

I abruptly sat up and rung out my hair, chuckling. I cupped some of the river water in my hands, examining its peculiar glimmer. As I concentrated, it began to form a ball. I remember laughing again at myself, thinking that I was most likely dreaming.

But the ball seemed so real.

As I stood up for a second time, I found myself able to step onto the surface, supported by the rushing waterway beneath my feet.

Possible?

I ran up the stream, leaping from side to side before throwing my hands up in the air and causing beautiful mist to dance around me.

I shouted with delight and utter amazement at the moment. Thunder clouds echoed in celebratory reply. I stretched my arms out to the sky and droplets began to fall, gently kissing my face as I gazed upwards.

The wind picked up for a moment and I found myself airborne. I let out a unintentional scream as the swirls of mist lifted me and threw me around. The wind whistled as I came to a stand still, in line with the tips of the tallest forest trees. I stared at that magnificent marvellous moon and he watched me back.

Incredible.

Suddenly the wind broke and I started to free fall, frantically grabbing at the pine branches. I managed to ungracefully land on one of the thicker limbs and stop my descent. The rain was still bucketing down and I laughed at the purely perplexing situation.

Then I heard the distant squeals of faraway children and saw a town in the horizon.

I felt a calm sense of trust with the water all around me and credulously jumped into the air.

I could feel the moisture on my skin as I shakily made an awkward landing by the outskirts of houses.

Few people were still outside; it was mainly children and some fun loving adults - all playing in the rain. Other parents stood watch from under the outdoor shelter of their homes.

I laughed at the sight, giving a "Hello" or "good evening" and small wave to those who I passed.

I should've seen the signs earlier on.